PSA - Texas Constitutional election 11/5

Early voting for the (Texas) constitutional election ends this Friday 11/1. Election day is 11/5.

There are ten proposed constitutional amendments on the ballot.

Links:

I’d like to call your attention to Proposition 4:

The constitutional amendment prohibiting the imposition of an individual income tax, including a tax on an individual’s share of partnership and unincorporated association income.

If you want to prohibit the lawmakers from imposing an income tax you have to vote FOR on that proposition.

Historically voter turnout for this type of election is in the single digits (red line below). Don’t let the very few decide how we will be governed.

15 Likes

Looks like all of the amendments should be voted FOR with the exception of the one about property tax on precious metals?

If I’m reading this correctly the prop 4 amendment doesn’t prohibit an income tax but does make it even harder for the legislature to pass something like that than it is today because they’d need a super majority instead of a majority. Even if it doesn’t pass I think we’re pretty safe under the existing constitution which would require a majority of voters to agree to a state income tax. Seems terribly unlikely that would fly around here.

Thanks for the post though, I’m going to go vote today!

1 Like