PSA: cleaning yourself with compressed air

Bring a change of clothing, a garbage bag to keep the dirties in, and a fist full of quarters so the filth can be removed using someone else’s washing machine. I figured that out by the time I was 16.

4 Likes

An alternative strategy is to have a Scum Car. The Scum Car has Cooties, and you park it down the street from your house because it is embarrassing. The Scum Car is filled with all the crap you need to use on your 99 projects, so you don’t even notice that the upholstery has been destroyed, the carpet is stained, and the interior makes Fabreeze run away in horror.

2 Likes

Some of us just call that, “my car.”

But to the topic, it’s not uncommon for me to use my leaf blower to “sweep” my garage/workshop, and I’ve definitely used my air compressor to dust off myself and other less animate objects. While I agree there are real dangers, I would guess the odds are not terribly high (please enlighten me if otherwise), @Lampy’s experience notwithstanding.

That said, I’ll happily use the vacuum instead of the compressor to dust myself off in the DMS woodshop… with one warning to other users: please don’t use the vacuum to “dust” near your eyes or ears.

*End sassy rant. Stay safe. Stay classy.

5 Likes

Protip, if you use a wetdry vac to clean yourself of metal shavings, be sure it’s on suck not blow.

1 Like

Why is the compressed air set so high? Just the noise from the pressure in the woodshop is painfully to hear. The small brad nail guns are designed for 120psi, and the compressed air we have is too much for them. The brads go far deeper than they should.

Install regulators at the machines or the outlets.

1 Like

The Brad nailer I have at home has a depth adjustment… Once the pressure is sufficient (anything over 90psi) the depth is consistent.

It does surprise me that we don’t have point of use regulators (probably cost concerns). You need the air pressure in the system to be high enough to account for drop on the plumbing at high flow (and we have a lot of plumbing), but obviously you don’t want 150psi for your blowgun. Regulators are the answer.

If it’s over 150 at the end of the line, we can dial things back substantially.