Prototype for pm 66 dust issue proposal

So this will require the top to be take off just due to the size but based off of the measurements this is kinda what I can up with, the left side goes up past the carriage and the right side allows for full tilt clearance, it would block the door a little but here my go at it

@Team_Woodshop @IanLee @SWA let me know what you think about wether it’ll actually help or if I’d just be a redundant redundancy

Taking the cast iron table off of the saw is a major commitment.

IMG_2956

The picture attached is the saw with the table removed. See all the missing components? Things such as the out-feed tables, out-feed table angle iron brackets, and fence rail.

This picture also shows the saw with the motor removed.

IMG_2952

Note: To future members that want to unleashed a personal nightmare known as rebuilding DMS equipment, take photos, lots of photos, and save them.

So, back on track. Personally, if I wanted access to the cavity, I would remove the electric motor. It has two bolts and a couple of belts. The downside is it is very heavy. You need to rig a lift and it is best to have two people involved.

IMG_2930

Having survived this beating recently, I would mock things up through the front inspection door and verify the results prior to disassembly. After proving that a rough concept is worthwhile, I might then consider taking the motor off.

This is a close up off the simplistic dust chute (bent sheet metal) that we currently have. Pretty much ineffective.

IMG_3412

After something is installed I think we would still need someway to clear it, so some type of front hatch opening forward would need designed in.

I don’t have an answer to this. The motor side of the case is still a wild card in how a solution would integrate.

That’s all I have.

1 Like

So I was picturing making it like the saw stop where it’s 2 separate compartments basically one that shrouds the blade and carriage and another that’s just open space. It can be done without moving the top, I didn’t think about how much of a task that really would be!

If this is available and under $100 why are we just not doing it?

2 Likes

Looks like the most immediately practical thing to do, which would keep the saw in service, would be to simply use a scoop and remove the heavier accumulation manually from time to time. Not at all hard to do. Just needs to be an additional item on the checklist for cleanup after individual use. The saw is working so well right now… be a shame to take it all apart again so soon after the major repair and tuning. Just my $.02.

D

1 Like

This was ordered.

7 Likes

This is taught in the class and supplies exist, however it is a constant problem. Honestly after a fresh tune might be the best time as long as it’s put back together right as we will know how well it works with a saw that’s running beautifully and getting a lot of heavy use versus when it’s performing poorly and users swap to the sawstop

1 Like

@hon1nbo :: The current classes may have been updated with that info but, for the record, the cleaning of the interior of the table saws was not part of the Woodshop 1-4 classes that I took in 2019 to get my certification.

Still no excuses though, as being a lifetime woodworker with a Master Craftsman rating in the executive and royal aircraft interior completion industry, I should’ve known and done the check and clean anyway.

D

It should have been covered even then by your instructor. We’ve covered cleaning the saws and tools since before the 1-4 class structure was even made. Typically go over it as it relates to each tool and cleaning the felder.

@IanLee has this changed?

1 Like

Understood. Just relating the reality of my experience. Sometimes things that should happen don’t.

My instructor… sorry but can’t recall his name… otherwise did a great job with a very large class.

D

1 Like

What the class outline requires and what is actually covered are not always the same. Part of why I want a standardized online class.

1 Like

If memory serves, I joined about March 2018. That predates the training revisions.

I am positive that cleaning the table saw cavities was not part of the Woodshop training in 2018. Other than general encouragement to clean up the mess you make, the “cleaning” emphasis was limited to emptying the trash containers, the cyclone catch drum and associated filter.

Having taken my training in that predate time as well, it was definitely covered in my class

But as Ian said, what the outline requires and what is actually covered by some teachers are two different things. My only concern was whether we dropped it from the outline or if it’s just teachers missing it.

Nor with my official training, though I’ve used the shop vac to clean out said machine on many occasions, as far back as the old Delta at Ladybird.

Cause if I were to just grab a sheet of plywood from committee storage id be slapped with a ban so fast the saw blade would still be turning! So I posted here 1 just because the amount of knowledge and way of thinking what can get wrong on here out weigh my ability so far beyond comprehension, and 2 to get Ian’s or someone’s permission to go for it! If I know it was ok id of already grabbed a sheet and started cutting