Pros & Cons: Whether to become a member based off a few forum posts vs meeting members in person

I really think you will find us more appealing in person. Even I have been known to be helpful when I’m in the middle of a big project with a timeline.

9 Likes

Sleep well young prince maybe you will find your perfect world in your dreams. I much prefer reality where we bump headed, fight, and build this amazing thing called DMS.

We fought to make this group great. If we hadn’t it wouldn’t be here. Pacifism leads to destruction. You have to fight for what you believe in, because less would have you silenced.

2 Likes

i realize that a person’s posts don’t always portray them accurately, and also may be misinterpreted by the reader. So maybe the polite scolding you gave us was well intentioned. But you lost me when you implied that one of the group had money, and was known to spread it around, and we had missed out on a chance at a nice payday because we weren’t up to standard. One of the things I love about this place is that my $50 a month doesn’t buy me any more or less access to DMS than your friend.

12 Likes

:thumbsup:
Giving a benefit of doubt is a good thing… :grinning:

[quote="tomthm, post:23, topic:18747"] But you lost me when you implied that one of the group had money, and was known to spread it around, and we had missed out on a chance at a nice payday because we weren't up to standard. [/quote]

yeah… :confused:

[quote="tomthm, post:23, topic:18747"] One of the things I love about this place is that my $50 a month doesn't buy me any more or less access to DMS than your friend. [/quote]

With all of our imperfections, Dallas Makerspace is still a most awesome community ~ definitely worth every penny and so much more! I have learned about, and how to do, more things than I ever could have imagined! Simply being surrounded by all the brilliant minds and all the different ways of looking at so many things has been such an eye opening and deep learning experience!! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Got it thanks Tomthm, yeah the people or group has money, time and knowledge. The biggest thing is a huge sense of community and giving back to it. Nobody buys anybody or anything, as it is seen between us donations are just that donations in order to build bigger promoting growth by getting others involved. Most of us understand non profit orgs and how difficult they are to fund while helping others can be a fine balancing act, some need help, others do not and then the national groups that are well known need no explanation. These people like to give back and do it anonymously, in fact to look at any of us you would probably be inclined to donate to us. In retrospect, I should have never made that statement or even posted, but dammit I am the one who made this suggestion for our group since we are all makers of varying degrees and thought it would be fun as well.
To the others, thank you for your replies and input, and to Tom, thank you for keeping them in the air, without y’all the bird drivers would never hit my marks a few years back, not to mention saving our collective asses on more than one occasion.
I know y’all are a good group of people, I applaud the obstacles overcome and current achievements.

2 Likes

Personal observation here, just my opinion

We are better in person when we can looks at each
other, help each other and such, than we come across
on Talk, I think it is like the angry email you send a
friend after they asked the same favor for you for the fifth
time. And you know that when they ask a sixth time you
will help them out again, What is bad is that here the wold
see that email,

I would tell anyone to come out to the site, talk to folks get
involved and don t judge folks by Talk posts

1 Like

I like it here. Someone usually has snacks and shenanigans and that’s basically the best thing one can ask for if you ask me.

:wink:

Hope you find your tribe. I found mine.

14 Likes

I’d suggest you and your friends come out for Nicole’s “Pot Luck” on April 1st - That way you may witness first hand the crazy, crabby old and young, fat, thin, tall, not so tall, and more…

As one member / instructor puts it “the Space is like the island of the misfit toys”. If that is true, it is a fantastic island.

You can’t be that “old” because I am old, granted Dave (photomancer is even older than I), but hides it fairly well-must be the long hair…

P.S. I’d like to take this moment to thank the individual that removed the offending tire/wheel assembly from the floor space in front of the “freebie” shelf. I do hope it went to a good use or was properly disposed of.

4 Likes

I prefer the term “fun size.”

9 Likes

That is a nice term!

My doctor always tells me I need to get in shape. I then patiently re-explain that round is a shape.

6 Likes

Yes, but if you are looking to joust with windmills, attempting to become less round can become an epic quest.

1 Like

Thank-you, Sancho Panza.

1 Like