Proposing a day to plan future lock-picking classes[Fixed the poll]

Hi everyone,

So a few of us have discussed wanting to host more classes on lock-picking and related tool making. With than in mind, I would like to propose a small meeting (either physical or via conference call) in a few days for anyone interested in teaching to plan out classes and discuss what materials we will need to do so. For example, I would like to conduct a class on improvised tools such as picks and tension tools from easily acquired materials such as windshield wiper inserts.

Finally, a poll for days we could hold this session:

• Fri 15th of Nov, 7pm
  • Sat 16th of Nov, 12pm
  • Sun 17th of Nov, 12pm
  • Mon 18th of Nov, 7pm
  • Tue 19th of Nov, 7pm
  • Wed 20th of Nov 7pm

0 voters

If these times don’t quite work for you, let us know!

I’m going to go ahead and shoot for Tuesday and book a room.

Hey Dario - thank you so much for putting this together! I had a last-minute work schedule change that is going to mean I can’t make it tomorrow night - but here’s what I was going to add/offer:

1. I’m a member of the IAIL (International Association of Investigative Locksmiths) and am interested in offering more forensic locksmithing classes at DMS next year. (Basically, how investigators determine whether and how a lock was bypassed - looking at toolmarks, pin scratchings, etc.)

2. I also have a number of antique locks and am trying to get enough of those together to make a class about the history and development of locks around the world… and, you know, how your D&D character could realistically pick said locks :slight_smile:

3. My standard “Locksmithing 101” class includes both basic lockpicking practice, as well as certain locksmithing issues - like whether your deadlatch plunger is misaligned and leaving your door vulnerable to credit-carding, or what to do if your key is stuck in the lock (and how to fix it later).

For the above reasons, I feel like some of my material falls outside VCC’s traditional “locksport” umbrella. With that said, I’m very happy to be included under the VCC committee and contribute to it whenever that is appropriate. I don’t think I will have the bandwidth to lead a SIG, but I am happy to join and be involved. And if there is a time when you are regularly around DMS, I would be very happy to co-machinate with you on that “improvised tools” class - that sounds really neat!

1 Like

Tex,

Thanks for having those classes.

Surprisingly enough yes those do fall under the locksport umbrella. While my personal direction with lock-picking is just to cover what’s needed for one’s CISSP and CEH certificate efforts with a focus on physical security. But overall I know that individuals that actually enjoy locksport would enjoy the forensics side, antique locks, and everything in between as well.

Also, I may be able to put up a few classes on digital locks for the Spring/Summer season.

As for leading a sig; Being a project manager by trade I’ll be glad to help coordinate anything we need, collaborate with our group’s efforts to promote, and run budgets by the committee. Direction for the SIG and how solutions should look like really should come from our community not one person. Afterall a good leader knows how to listen first and resolve conflicts second.

Yeah given the short time frame I think it’s best to maybe try again later, with a bit more time for folks to plan. I goofed on planning this, and now even I can’t come down tonight.