Proposed waste can for PlasmaCAM

We’re now requiring all PlasmaCAM users to empty the dross produced by their job. I propose this can, with an appropriate change to the label so that it does not indicate “oily” waste:

https://www.amazon.com/Justrite-09710-Operated-Gallon-Capacity/dp/B0023AU6DQ

Something like:

PLASMACAM HOT METAL DROSS/WASTE
DO NOT PLACE ANYTHING ELSE IN THIS CAN
UNDER PENALTY OF METAL SHOP BAN

1 Like

that’s a good choice. I could use one of those in my own shop.

Auto Shop, Machine Shop @nicksilva and the general work table area should probably have these also - but for oily/flammable cloths and paper towels used to wipe things down with. Another incremental step in safety culture/awareness.

1 Like

If other shops buy these, then maybe the PlasmaCam one should be painted a different color to prevent confusion ?

3 Likes

@nicksilva I think this would be better for Machine Shop it’s less volume/foot print, we won’t be using it for metal and scrap. Plus it’s cheaper also,
https://www.amazon.com/Justrite-Galvanized-steel-ventilated-Reinforced-Self-closing/dp/B001DSKBXE/ref=pd_bxgy_328_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001DSKBXE&pd_rd_r=DQ9F3AXMPXV2WQZMK99Z&pd_rd_w=lEAox&pd_rd_wg=zeHsd&psc=1&refRID=DQ9F3AXMPXV2WQZMK99Z

Does the gubmint class these materials; dross, oily cloth, etc. as hazardous waste we will need to dispose of properly?

In any case, we will need signs so that they don’t get used for normal trash. I would hate to see the smoke produced by a plastic soda bottle with the heat from dross or oily rags…

1 Like

Alas, doesn’t work for disposal of hazardous members …

2 Likes

We aren’t requiring you to clean up your dross, just the scrap drops. Take for instance the center of a circle, or the waste material drops. That’s the discussion I remember myself and Chuck had.

That is what Zack covered in his last PlasmaCam class.

Based on my experience a few years ago in another state in an industrial environment, liquid oil is hazardous waste and must be disposed of properly (recycled with registered company and records retained to prove you did so). Oil that has been absorbed in oil dry or rags was considered regular trash.
Of course, like everything having to do with government, last weeks rules may no longer apply.

3 Likes

I don’t know if the gubmint would care or not, but suggest we find out if they do before we put out the containers.

Of course it would, just add lye.