Proposed New Special Interest Group: Severe Weather, Atmospheric Sciences & Disaster Response

I’ve been wanting to get an interest group going for this for a while, and I’ve gotten a pretty good response from the few times I’ve mentioned it at the space. Wanted to go ahead and start a thread here. I will update it with more info as I get things situated and going.

Hoping to achieve a few things (off the top of my head):

• Host yearly Skywarn classes (provided by the NWS)
  • Possibly hosting other classes/lectures/speeches by NWS FW and North Texas Chapter of the American Meteorological Society
  • Host RACES/ARES/CERT courses and training
  • Get amateur radio operators involved in spotting and visa versa
  • Plan/organize group chasing events
  • Plan/organize civil service / volunteer work (disaster response team)

Many of those are long-term goals, but it would be great to see any of those to fruition. I personally am avid about severe weather and chasing but haven’t had much of a chance to get out go on any good chases the past few years. This year should be different, as I am taking the summer off from school (first time in a while). If anything, we can always plan for next year and get some good chases planned.

Questions/comments/thoughts?

7 Likes

@ke5bud I mentioned that I would tag you in this thread once it was posted. Here ya go! ;D

2 Likes

This should be part of the Amateur Radio group.

2 Likes

I would definitely be interested in moving forward with this, however I could see this being directly under Amateur Radio. Most of the activity you mentioned would work well with Amateur Radio as a strong base for moving forward. If that would be ok with you I will move this to Amateur Radio and we can start including this in committee issues to keep it going and give it due attention.

1 Like

Works for me, especially seeing that most people interested in said group would have their license.

2 Likes

Working on a proposal/plan/outline for the subcommittee, it’s scope, and even/educational opportunities to discuss at an upcoming meeting to make it more official/organized so the most awesome can be done with minimal effort and frustratIon as possible For all partoes.

It might be a week or two before I finalize it due to finals/exams. Will let peeps know when it’s close so we can get on an agenda for a meeting.

Will that work? Thoughts? Ideas?

2 Likes

I’ll work with you so we can fold this into our next meeting to get it started.

Skywarn for next year at DMS this year is to close to get it scheduled. That or after the season for the following year. I will try to work us in but doubt it will happen. Pat Hykkonen can teach some to get us started and allow those who want to do Dallas Races to start this season possibly.

Dallas County Races signups through Pat.

Cert class and setup taught by Dietrich Whisennand, he is an instructor and I can get him to set them up and teach. Possibly pursue grant funding for gear for DMS members to be able to respond in their local neighbourhoods? Possibly attach to county Cert teams in the area?

I can easily get guys from Denton county ARES to the club for presentations.

Group spotting events would always be great, maybe set up our own call down for weather events to launch group chasing and work with Dallas Races and Denton Ares to get us involved more with them on a regular basis.

Work with many of the local amateur radio clubs to assist and volunteer with them which will in turn lead to more civil service effort for the area. Most of these clubs would be more than happy to have us assisting as a group and almost always need more bodies for events.

1 Like

I’m stoked. Let’s do this!

And I’m with you on skywarn, I thibk next year is when we should be
shooting for.

I’ll be up at thr space later today if u wanna chat more about it. I’ll be
studying for an exam I have tomorrow but will need to take breaks so we can
chat then.

1 Like

I wont be in again until the weekend most likely I am in the middle of moving. I will touch base with you after the move is done.

Sounds good. I’ve got finals going on this week until the middle of may so a whole lot might not be happening until after that.

Hi, I would like updates on meetings and future events in regards to the severe weather, atmospheric sciences and disaster response. Thank you.

It never happened.
This thread is two years old…

And Krissy moved to Seattle

Well let s get it moving again I would be interested in in it
Nothing like seeing a tornado half a mile from your home
when you are 5 to give you a life long interest in severe
weather

1 Like

Thankyou for telling me.

Wow! I actually knew Krissy by face but not personally… And I was actually thinking about to moving to Seattle too lol

I’m interested!!! This committee is definitely a great start. If we could meet up one day at the space, I would also like to propose a project we all could be interested in.

lets see if we can get some folks interested, maybe
some of the folks that worked on our weather station,

and the ham folks that got the new antennae up

The Dallas tornado of 1957 came within a half mile of [our home,
I was 5 when I saw that ugly monster

For those that never heard of it, here is some on it, It was the first
headily filmed tornado and it was one of the two Fujuto developed his scale from

http://www.1957dallastornado.net/

1 Like

Do you suggest we have a meeting at the space? I do know another who is very interested in this committee.

We could,

Do we have any one else that is interested in this?

1 Like