Proposed Class: Intro to Amazon Web Services

I am offering to teach a class describing the basics of using Amazon Web Services. This course would:

• Give an overview of the dozens of services offered in AWS
  • Go over the different virtual machine types
  • Go over the different pricing models available (on-demand, reserved, spot)
  • Describe the capabilities of Virtual Private Clouds
  • Demonstrate how to:
  • configure and deploy a virtual machine
  • associate a static IP address with a virtual machine
  • ssh into our instance
  • setup a basic web server and test our instance
  • create a snapshot of our virtual machine (backup)
  • create an AMI of our virtual machine (image)
  • create an auto scale group
  • test the auto scale group to dynamically create new VMs based on load

Please like or reply if you’re interested. I can teach this as early as next week. I am available Thu PM, Fri PM, Sat or Sun next week (June 25-28) or later. Please let me know what day/time works best. If it is well received I can repeat this and/or add more advanced classes.

If approved and possible I would like this to be a compensated class with all $100 going to the Science committee.

-Robert

5 Likes

I REALLY like the idea of this class etc., but just a head’s up. Honorarium ($50 to committee and $50 to you or (in this case) committee) requires emailing admin at least 12 days ahead of time. See this page for more details: http://dallasmakerspace.org/teach/

1 Like

Ok, no problem. I’ll go ahead with this first class without the Honorarium and then potentially offer additional classes later per the process. I won’t likely have the slides ready until next week so I’d have to delay this a lot to follow the process for this one. Once I’ve run it once I’ll have better class materials anyway.

Thanks,
-Robert

Just a note, since your new (I think). There are two honorariums, one for the teacher (which they can donate to a committee or DMS), and one for the sponsering committee. If you rescheduled this, you could add $50 to the science budget (which I think they need) and even $100 if you donated your honorarium.

Yes, that’s what I was hoping to do, but that depends on when people want the class. I have no problem teaching this multiple times with the full Honorarium going to the Science Committee. However, as mentioned, it would have to be about 15-20 days from now as I have to submit slides/handouts 12 days before the class. I can probably get them done this weekend. Just depends on member needs. I’m offering this because the topic came up in another thread.

Thank you so much, Robert.

As for honorarium, you have to get board approval ([email protected]) at least 12 days before the class, and at least three people must attend. After the class, you would submit the form requesting honorarium reimbursement.

I’ve never had to submit slide prior to teaching a class (though, I was asked for some several weeks later).

For the honorarium request we (the Board) don’t need a full slide deck or anything. Your outline will suffice. We just generally don’t like classes that have no outline at all. Emails requesting honorarium that say “I am going to teach about ice fishing” and that’s it. No, sorry, we need more to go on.

1 Like

To be honest, as far as I’m personally concerned (and I think other board members), the bullet points above are sufficient for a “curriculum”. I wouldn’t consider “slides” a HARD requirement for the advanced notice.

EDIT: In fact I’m REALLY sure Alex at least feels the same way now. :laughing:

2 Likes

Ok, here’s what I will do. I’ll schedule the class for 12 or more days from now and send the email today. If someone has an urgent need for this info prior to that I will be happy to hold an additional session prior or simply meet with them at the space.

-Robert

3 Likes

That’s extremely generous of you! I know this class would be of great benefit to many people.

Ok, the class is on the calendar, email has been sent and responded to and it appears it has been approved. July 2nd from 7pm-9pm. I am happy to offer this again if the time doesn’t work for you.

Now I just hope at least 3 people can make it :smile:

4 Likes

If im not scheduled for a 10pm site I would love to attend, wont know until actual day of (life of a demand dispatch tech)

I will definitely attend if time permits!

How would you feel about someone video recording your class?

That would be fine. I can run a screen recorder too if that would be helpful. I’m not volunteering to edit video :smile:

1 Like

Thank you for offering this class. I can’t attend the second of July, but I would like to attend a later session.

1 Like

FWIW, I don’t see this class on the DMS calendar. All that I see for July 2 is Open House and Pinball.

I noticed that too. How long does it usually take for a new submission to be added to the calendar? I filled out the “Add Event” form two days ago. Is it a manual process between the form and the google calendar?

-Robert

I think it’s supposed to be fully computerized, but I usually have to send an email to whoever is in charge of classrooms to give the box a kick. You might try [email protected] .

1 Like

There is a form, but humans still approve it. Otherwise we’d have spam on the calendar and conflicts. There’s no need to contact them unless you’re getting impatient.

1 Like