Propose still photographing area to photograph projects

I’m all for doing this. contact me to get the ball rolling on this. Daryll 469-236-4853 [email protected]

Christy made a light box for product photography last night. It appears to be designed to be colapseable and portable. We can now start shooting products with an “infinite white” background.

1 Like

I concur with a light box setup. I have a 48" collapsible light tent that I was considering offering as a donation. The timing is amazing.

Check out the lightbox that I made this weekend (it’s up at the space right now). You’re welcome to use if you have the lights, but unfortunately I took mine home for the week.

It’s a 3x3 ft box made from pvc, fabric, and white paper backdrop. For lights, I used 42w 5000k CFL bulbs that are about 2600 lumens each. You can find them online or at your local camera/lighting supply store. I purchased mine from Arlington Camera.

I would advise, in addition, that you get some U/V gels for the lights as well, as they do seem to produce a decent amount of U/V light.

For lighting in a lightbox/softbox, the goal is to soften the light, and counter all the shadows to minimize or eliminate them entirely. Here’s some pics of the tests we did and a few shots of the lightbox itself. You can get some pretty decent shots even on your cell phone camera with this setup (many stopped by to try it for themselves)

Here’s some pics: (most still need post done)

Flickr album with more pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127406173@N04/

5 Likes

I really like how the discussion is moving along

I like the resulting photos also

so how could this configuration be used for a setup that could be avialable at makerspace for project photographing

btw

these pic examples are far better than my holding up my project with one hand and shooting with my phone in the other

the quality in these photos would be in my acceptable for my projects most of the time

It’s worth noting that the product photos were shot from a “prosumer” grade camera that was mounted to a tripod.

I will try to get in touch when i get a break

I used a cheapy point-and-shoot:

3 Likes

Ya they would look fine with a point and shoot or even a cell phone camera. I took some pics with my cell phone too I will upload later. Additionally, there are many members with DSLR’s that would be willing to help shoot or loan their camera for a shoot. I have mine in my car with me all the time and are typically up there quite frequently.

How much did ambient light affect your color temp? Just curious (and looking for suggestions).

I have a small lightbox at home, and despite having 5K lights, and (attempting to :smile: ) color balance using a proper neutral density card, I still find a fair amount of influence from ambient light.

Thanks.
(from Chris)

There was some, but not much. The 5000k lights were soooooo much brighter than the ambient light that it was hardly a factor, and could be easily fixed in post. The only thing I would have changed is had UV gels, but I am ordering some now. Ideally, having it without any ambient light is best, but I don’t think it’s entirely necessary to get moderately impressive pics out of it.

Your light box is deeper than mine, and your lights were probably brighter than mine also, so that’s probably the difference.

Thanks!
Chris

Krissy, that light tent is awesome! If you want to make it available for
everyone, it can totally live on the Arts shelf when it’s broken down.

1 Like

Excellent results!! Congrats.

A few suggestions. If UV is causing problems, try a UV haze fltr. Often
used to protect the front element of the lens. Shoot in raw - allows more
options for color balance/corrections in post edit. Convert to .jpg when
done.

if a final setup configuration could be agreed upon then perhaps it could be proposed to have it setup somewhere as one-stop and shoot workstation where someone can bring there latest project piece

how would this be proposed and who would be the decision maker(s)

for this

It’s not complex to assemble, and space is kind of at a premium right now. Maybe just have a sheet explaining step by step the setup process would suffice? Then we can keep it compact and take it out as needed.

i guess the question to ask in considering a permanent setup area is how often would it be used

i have a need several times week and it seems cumbersome to setup and tear down for a picture

how many other members would have a frequent need to justify

:- )

Would it be possible for you to do all your weekly photography at one time?