Project with copper Pipes

I am going to start a project were I solder some coper Pipes together I was wondering if there is any area of the makers space I can use to do this. I am still a little baby member and am trying to get all my safety classes done but want to use a small vice and a torch. Any suggestions?

Metal shop should be fine. Depending on the size of the project, jewelry small metals might also be good.

1 Like

If you’re using acid flux, please do it in the metal shop over on the welding table with the fan on.

It’s a metal table so you won’t set it on fire and the fan will pull the noxious smoke out.

3 Likes

Awesome That is what I was looking for. I am going between saudering and glueing. I think I want to sauder I just don know

Without knowing what your project is or what size the pipes are, soldering or brazing is almost certainly your best bet.

That being said, you’ll have to bring your own brazing rig for the heat. We can’t store compressed flammable gasses at the space, so a little MAP gas rig is going to be necessary.

If you’re going to be working with a B tank, that one can’t come inside.

I am doing 1/2" or 3/4" and I will bring my own map if I go with the sauldering if not and I use glue can I lay out paper on the wood table in the wood working area and use that?

If you decide to glue it, there is a product called “Just for Copper” that I’ve used that works great. You can actually put the pipe under water pressure with the glue. You prep the copper pipe and fittings just like you would if soldering.

Also, laying down paper on a workbench or anything to keep any glue off the table would be great.

The glue can be bought at Walmart or ordered through Amazon.

2 Likes

Awesome thanks for the help I am not needing water tight I am using it for furniture and lamps not water I was thinking of just some epoxy

Ok great - epoxy should work great too.

We used some copper fittings to put together a copper ink pot, and we used JB Weld. So far as we know it worked fine. It held together for quite a while until we sold it.