Project Management Class - Six Sigma/Agile/Waterfall

I would be, do you know how to use JMP?

1 Like

Iā€™d be down for it, possibly any day past thursday

1 Like

In order to understand Lean Six Sigma methodologies, then one should begin by studying and understanding Dr. Edwards Demingā€™s 14 Points as well as his Seven Deadly Diseases.

Lean Six Sigma methodologies are VERY effective tools when properly used. These are ACTION BASED tools! The problem is that many organizations drown themselves in excessive ā€œyap-yapā€, politics and bureaucracy, then wrongfully claim that Six Sigma is bunk!

Effective teamwork (Concurrent Engineering Teams) are key to Six Sigma success in the areas of product development, process development, continuous improvement and corrective action.

Not long ago, I was asked to resolve a major long-standing manufacturing problem that included many Stakeholders solely engaged in endless finger-pointing and recriminations. The manufacturing problem had been ā€œcontainedā€ by use of a work-around-plan with no corrective action plan in sight. I convened an informal meeting that included all the Stakeholders with a ground rule that bickering would not be tolerated. I then led and moderated an informal round-table forum that lasted approximately 1/2 hour which resulted in a dysfunctional team transforming into a functional one. The outcome was a root cause analysis and corrective action plan that everyone agreed on. I then successfully facilitated the implementation of that corrective action plan.

I am Green Belt certified thru my employer, and am aspiring towards my Black Belt certification.

1 Like

Iā€™m mostly used SPSS for Statistical Modeling. SAS JMP is much more relevant to corporate setting. Research setting Iā€™ve always use SPSS. I definitely think SAS would be best to teach but I am still trying to figure out how much of the class(es) will be theory, practice, and statistical modeling. Working on outline right now. Will keep you updated.

@Will1 thanks for sharing your experiences and how you used six sigma to unify your team to optimize efficiency. I believe that working through examples in six sigma that apply to some of our everyday lives at Maker space would be a good way help some of our peers have similar experiences and learn how effective six sigma can really be. Let me know if you have any ideas for practice activities.

Iā€™m currently working on my Green Belt certification at my work. Itā€™s a bit odd to try and apply methodologies meant for the manufacturing industry in an office environment. It can be done, but itā€™s a bit of a stretch to meet the certification criteria sometimes. I do really like the process and tools though. If anything, they help with general project management even if you donā€™t have the support you need to apply real continuous improvement.

1 Like