Processor and Motherboard Hunt

Hey friends!
My computer’s motherboard recently fried itself and in the process of troubleshooting some pins were also damaged on the processor.
I checked the other threads - I’ve seen Mouser suggested as a vendor for larger components, and may fall back on that if need be.
I’m not really looking to upgrade the parts (they’re a few generations out but they do everything they need to just fine) but paying retail to replace both even as is looks a little pricey. Has anyone got any suggestions on resources for some that are “out of date” or would they be willing to part with/trade for something roughly equivalent? I am still actively looking on my own but I figured it’d at least be worth the ask. Thank you in advance for any help!
For reference:
gigabit GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 motherboard // processor Intelcore i5-6500

I see Newegg is selling that board for $147 and that processor for $140, so I assume that you are trying to save on those prices. I would look for motherboard with processor bundles on Newegg or Microcenter in the price range that you want and see if that system is acceptable for what you want to use the computer for. Be aware that if you get a different motherboard and processor, you may also have to get a different memory and storage drive (more cost). You have to read the specifications to figure that out.
I would be cautious about used parts unless they are free and you have time to see if they work.

Wow… there’s quite a bit there, however, my personal take away from that is the pricing.

I had that exact same motherboard and processor combination that he’s talking about but I didn’t pay nearly that much for it.
I bought mine at Microcenter for around $100 with one of their special bundle packages that they had at the time.
Now, take into consideration that that was before my current build which I built in 2016 so he’s talking about a setup that’s almost 6 years old and I’m surprised that it’s even still available.

I would suggest that he looked around for a motherboard and processor because what he’s going to spend for an older motherboard and processor, he could get the newer generation and with the fact that Microsoft has decided that anything below a generation 8 can’t have Windows 11 installed on it, you would think it would be better to go with the newer equipment just for upgradability.

Ping folks out on the DFW Retro Computing group on Facebook and see if anyone has a spare.

Do you mean the motherboard processor socket? It’s a LGA socket. The processor has no pins. If that’s the case then almost any socket LGA1151 motherboard should be a suitable to get it going again. There’s some used and some new but I wouldn’t pay much for a replacement because it’s outdated.

1 Like

Unless there’s internal CPU damage, just clean the pads on the CPU with isopropyl alcohol. Damaged mobo socket isn’t worth it. If both are fried you’re better off getting the cheapest AMD ryzen mobo CPU combo you can, it’ll still be better than that board. Keep in mind you’ll need to switch to DDR4 ram as well.