Problem with Vinyl Cutter

I took the class for the vinyl cutter a few weeks ago but have not been able to get it to work for me yet. Today I got the vinyl loaded and my file loaded into the software (all text, created in inkscape, saved as an .eps with default values, then opened in the cutter software). The text in my file was loaded inverted but I got that straightened out. I input the x and y values for the cutter into the software and then clicked on the scissors. Then I clicked on “Preview” and the software crashed. I repeated this a couple of times and tried “Cut” instead of “Preview” but it crashed every time. Does anybody have any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Pearce mentioned that there was occasional weirdness with the cutter, and that a computer reboot usually solves the problem. If not, I might open a ticket.

I’d imagine this was using the new log in system? Try logging in again, the first log in was weird for me during testing. If that doesn’t work there should be a batch file on the desktop to run called “run this to fix vinyl cutter” or something like that, try running it and it should fix it for you from there on

I went back in today and with a file created in Corel Draw and it worked fine. Then I tried my file from yesterday and it worked fine too. So there is no problem anymore. Someone else may have used it and either rebooted or followed your suggestions Pearce. BTW, it looks like we are running low on the application paper unless there is some I didn’t see.

Thanks for your help.

I used it today as well, I couldn’t reproduce the problem. Not sure what to tell you about it. More contact paper soon.

Hey @PearceDunlap, has any contact paper been ordered? I checked in last night and saw that we seem to be out. It might not be a bad idea to order a slightly smaller width roll, as I’m pretty sure a lot went to waste, with people tearing odd shaped and sized chunks off of such a wide roll last time.

http://www.amazon.com/Application-Transfer-GreenStar-ClassicAdhesive/dp/B00C131Y04/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

I buy my transfer tape from Denver Sign Supply. They sell 48" logs slit however you want, for no additional charge. On my last order I got two 12" rolls, three 6" rolls and two 3" rolls. It sure has made it a lot easier to use than a single 48" roll. I like their version that has the Lay-Flat Adhesive.

http://www.denversignsupply.com/explore.cfm?STORE=Y&N=128&SN=100&CT=101a&PG=101199101&W=STORE&P=N&S=1002127&U=1&SS=1&CR=Y

@PearceDunlap I just got an email from Denver Sign Supply with a discount on their TransferRite Ultra transfer tape. Mention Flyer E50 to receive the sale price. 48" logs of Low Tack #560U, Medium Tack #582U, and High Tack #592U are $137 and 60" logs are $171. You can specify how you want the log slitted in the notes during checkout for no additional charge.

1 Like

I’ll get some from them and a roll from Amazon prime to get some in the next day or two

Edit: because of the lack of payment people have been making to the vinyl cutter (with vinyl and tape disappearing) I’ll only be buying the roll from Amazon because vinyl can’t afford it.

1 Like