Probing Interest in a Car Audio Installation Class

Hey all, I’m pretty new to this whole makerspace thing, but I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in attending a class covering the basics of installing aftermarket audio components into a car.

I do car audio as a hobby, and it’s time to upgrade the audio in a Jeep I’ve just bought. While I can do this in my driveway in an afternoon, I figure if there’s some interest in learning about it, why not teach a class? For many cars, particularly those built before the advent of USB and bluetooth connectivity, installing an aftermarket radio can be a cheap way to improve a driver’s enjoyment and safety. Even in cars that have factory connectivity, the sound quality of an aftermarket audio system is often much better.

If there’s interest, a class would cover the following topics:

• Basic techncial terminology
  • DIN and JIS radio standards
  • Basic wiring and industry standards for wiring
  • Installation of interior adapters (eg faceplates, center console adapters)
  • Basic under-dash modification to suit larger-than-stock radios
  • Interior trim removal, modification, and replacement
  • Testing and basic tuning of an aftermarket radio

This would require the use of the non-lift bay in Automotive for an afternoon, so @TLAR please let me know if we can work something out should there be significant interest in this kind of class. I’m also open to any suggestions for topics to cover, and if there’s any interest in the future, I’d also like to do a class on speaker installation, amplifier installation, and subwoofer installation, as funds and time provide me the parts.

Let me know what you think, and thanks!

3 Likes

Interested in this class

I, too am interested in this class.

Interested in this class.

I would be all over this class. Want to redo system in my RX8.

Well that makes 4 at least. Of course, too many people, and you can’t get everyone piled in to look at everything.

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free. I’m just looking at this as an opportunity to spread some information while I do some work I’m going to do anyway.