Printmaking Topics and Show and Tell

Put up your current project photos, ask questions, see what is happening in class.

Daymakers Blockprinting basics - pulling prints!

Screen Printing Basics - New poster “Science!”

Advanced Screen Printing - 4 color separation

rows of sugar skulls

Upcoming techniques in printmaking - Multi-color, Multi-plate scratch foam printing

6 Likes

Question: I’m looking for thiner carving tools than the ones included in the basic Speedball kits.

Could these steel blades be an option: https://www.dickblick.com/products/palm-grip-carvers/ ? This is not a low-cost option though.

What would you recommend?

Thank you.

In my art class (when I teach stuff like drawing and basics) I make my students ONLY carve with a 1 tip.
Straight deliciousness happens. They hate me but…hey, you’re supposed to hate a teacher right. SOOOO worth the effort.
It’s a V tip and tiny. They do get dull but probably won’t happen to you for a long time. Something in a school setting takes some abuse. I’ve been told you can keep them sharp with some fine sandpaper but honestly I don’t do that I toss them and buy more by the dozen. Teaching the masses sometimes you go with the easy answer.

40203-1202-2ww-m

40203-1009-2-2ww-m

3 Likes

Using a single straight edge exacto knife works remarkably well.

You can always carving tools designed for wood. Huge variety of shapes, sizes, and price.

2 Likes

Thank you! That’s what I’ve been using (1 tip) and I am not super happy with the results… or maybe I need to change my drawing. I might try the exacto knife that John mentioned! Thank you for the idea.
It’s all about trying and seeing what works… or not … and trying again :wink:

You can probably sharpen these pretty easily with some jeweler’s rouge and a piece of scrap leather. that’s what I do to sharpen my leather beveling tools and gouges (pretty much the same thing, functionally).

We might have some white jeweler’s rouge with the leatherworking tools - we definately have suitable scraps of veg-tanned leather to use as a strop. Only takes a few strokes to polish things back up to a sharp edge.

1 Like

From the most recent block printing class:

4 Likes

Took another awesome class with Astrud yesterday “Multi-color, Multi-plate scratch foam printing”! Here is one of the prints I made:

2 Likes

A could of prints from the laser cut woodblock printing class:

4 Likes

Screen printing with water based discharge and clear plastisol inks:

4 Likes