Printer - (less sh*tty news)

Update: @pandabob came in yesterday and installed the parts for the 24" but didn’t get 100% done. He will return today to finish the beast off.

6 Likes

ya Steve and I talked yesterday and the 64" has the same thing. Yes, from what I understand it’s in working order.

2 Likes

Any news? And is @pandabob the only member who can train on these? He’s been pretty busy and it might be good to have backups.

For the sake of convenience, do you think doubling the print cost provided by the software calculator would cover maintenance? If not, using what the software calculates, what multiplier would you suggest?

In one of my previous jobs, I maintained large format printers. That being said, if I could be trained on the printers at DMS, I would definitely volunteer to train classes. @pandabob

7 Likes

Awesome! Here is what steve posted via Facebook this morning.

2 Likes

On the bright side, that computer has Internet access now.

3 Likes

AND

The smaller of the two wide format printers is available to be used by members who are already trained - being sure to take the issues that Steve reported into account. For the most part, the test prints looked pretty good. Of course, you probably want to hold off until those issues are fully resolved prior to making any large and/or very important prints. Don’t forget to pay using the new Square payment kiosk located in the main Creative Arts Room. You can pay either via Cash or Card using the kiosk in CA.

**[color=red][REMINDER: All consumables used (_paper, ink, etc..._) MUST be paid for - whether it turns out the way you want it or not.][/color]**
**The larger of the two wide format printers is still not available for use.** We need to get it connected via USB to a computer as well as come up with a schedule of fees to cover the cost of consumables, etc... The OEM ink that we will need to use on the larger printer costs roughly twice as much as the refillable cartridges that we have been using on the smaller of the two printers. Steve gave me a couple of links to look into for purchasing consumables while he was working on the printers. I will get with Devin (@missydee1206) and Nicole (@uglyknees) with the information that he provided, so we can work out what the costs associated with the larger printer will be.
Finally, for those who have not yet attended training to use the wide format printers at Dallas Makerspace, therefore cannot use the wide format printers yet, I do believe that Steve and Devin are working that out. Classes will be posted to the calendar once they get scheduled. Thanks! :D
3 Likes

Thanks for your help, Bill! So nice of you and @StanSimmons to get that done so quickly Sunday night. It’s nice not to have to watch out for the red ethernet cord stretched across the floor.

1 Like

Well my first print barked all the way to the canvas this morning. It’s too dark for one thing. The printer rollers were pretty darn dirty. (But this print cleaned them!) And…forgot to set the paper to canvas.

But alas, two and a half months later, a first wide-format print is in the books.

I’m well trained in reworking disasters. I’ve already cropped this one again to 10 x 16 from 12 x 20. I plan to either mount it or stretch it and then over paint parts of it. That should take care of the roller marks and dark lower right corner.

Skills learned today include Adobe CC6 Photoshop wide angle correction filter. This came out of an iPhone 6 as a panorama.

The view is from my apartment.

5 Likes