Printer - (less sh*tty news)

The Samsung Copier should be able to give rich enough blacks for making screens. I use my laser copier at the office to print negs all the time. In fact my screen printer often comments that they are particularly nice. I print on a velum stock provided by my screen printer and he produces the screens from the vellum negs. Plus the tabloid sheet (11x17) should be plenty large for most shirt designs.

My 2 cents

1 Like

Got some links to the materials your using?

I called my printer to find the specific option.

Can we exhaust this option before purchasing something? If we could use the printer that has dedicated floor space and weā€™re already paying for ā€¦

1 Like

Sure, Iā€™d love to investigate. Whatā€™s the roll call of all the working printer options?

ex.
1.) Samsung Copier (laser) with xx sheets of transparent laser paper left
2.) Vinyl cutter (sticker) with miles of vinyl left
3.) xxxxxxx (Inkjet) with 25 transparencies left

(I was cranky. Iā€™ll go away for a while now.)

1. Copier with 0 sheets of laser transparency (I can buy some)

2. Yes to the vinyl cutter

3. Epson big beast with the inkjet transparencies
    Thatā€™s it for options currently inside of DMS

4. @apparently_weird might have a cannon he can short term loan us

5. Buying a temp printer (this idea is not popular)

I have a Canon Pro 1 printer that I would be willing to loan the space if we can figure out how to reimburse for ink. I just installed $400 worth of new cartridges. It is a 12 pigment ink printer and I think it makes beautiful images.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/professional-large-format-printers/professional-inkjet-printers/pro-1

1 Like

Update:
Sorry this took so long, the vellum my screen printer uses was sold by a supplier we canā€™t buy from. So I found an alternative that works. It is 17# (this means 17 pound) Bristol Vellum and you can buy it from OK Paper just up the road from DMS. They sell it in sets of 250 and you should be able to print black from the samsung and use that to burn your screens.

1 Like

Steve and I texted today. The part is in - and he will come up as soon as heā€™s back in town to fix the 24" (now located in the Annex).
Things are happening.

Thank you guys for your patience. I know itā€™s been an issue for some.

3 Likes

When will the 64" version be available?

I donā€™t have an exact date @pandabob was going to take a look at refillable tanks/cost for the print. Paper is on itā€™s way and @lukeiamyourfather gave me a file for a test print. So itā€™s soon. I just need to have a good talk with Steve about costs per foot for ink. (unless anyone knows)

Right now we are dependent on Epson inks thus the cost might seem shockingly high in comparison to the hookup we have with the (now) baby.

2 Likes

Nicole, does the annex have a camera in it to keep the folks that print honest?

1 Like

Good question. I think it would be good to know how that room is being used.

@TLAR not yet but itā€™s been discussed and will be put in ASAP

@clk75201 I wish you could have made it to the CA meeting last night. The room will be ā€œa white roomā€ which is basically a clean room used for digital graphics, printing and light framing. We still have a mat cutter to install on the wall and a desk to put in. We decided last night on a standing kiosk and a small table. We will make signs for no food and drink in that room.
Any other questions? Please ask away.

Iā€™m so sorry I didnā€™t make it. I have a terrible cold and wonā€™t even ride in the building elevator right now if someone else is in it. I figured it was nicer for me to keep my germs to myself than to show up and move stuff.

Iā€™ll make it up to you by getting a finish clear coat on the frames Iā€™ve painted. Itā€™s on my list for next week.

=====

The annex will have a printer, and I presume a computer with Photoshop, also the touch screen monitorā€¦

Iā€™m headed to Wisconsin tonight and can bring back a small Wacom tablet and monitor calibrator. Iā€™d be glad to donate the tablet and loan the calibrator if you think theyā€™d be useful.

1 Like

Check the notes I just posted

The computer that will be attached is the graphics machine with the tablet. discussing options - thank you for the donation and loan. If itā€™s desired we can put a tablet on one of the other computers in the CA room and the calibration would be good to do in the annex on a regular basis.

From a different threadā€¦

All I can tell ya is @pandabob is the man with the parts. Heā€™s a good man and will be in to service the machines as soon as he can. I know waiting can be frustrating and I appreciate the attention to this but I donā€™t have any ability to make this repair happen. Steve and also @TLAR have kindly offered members the same rate for printing from the professional printers they own (to members).

2 Likes

I know @pandabob is doing his best. I would never question that. But maybe given the success of DMS membership numbers and the complicated equipment thatā€™s used at the space, itā€™s worth considering a fund for repairs - even if that fund were used to pay members for their expertise.

Iā€™m grateful for the two offers to print btw, but on this project Iā€™d love to start, itā€™s a control thing. It would feel like paying someone else to draw for me and then selling that drawing off to the highest bidder where I kept the profit.

I have plenty to keep me busy until the printer is ready. But, I still think changing the model a bit to pay for repairs at the space is worth a thought.