Pricing of a VW Beetle

Raymond,

you mean they would leak even more oil?

No… the apex seal was at the tip of the rotor vane. You’d lose all compression when you blew the seal.

1 Like

I enjoy the threads from “master mechanics” who know everything. When in college, I had an Electrical Engineering professor who told me, “goodness Russell, if it’s mechanical, you should be able to LOOK at it to tell how works”. Structural Engineering is a little trickier. Electrical Engineering is substantially more oblique. Quantum Mechanix is essentially impenetrable. Jeese, this aint rocket surgery.

1 Like

Is it still a leak if it’s intentional?

3 Likes

MI bought it in 1973. Kept it for about 10 years. For a two year period of time, one of my brother-in- law had a ‘66 912, the other had a ‘68 911. Good times.

1 Like

That reminds of an old joke about a penguin driving across Death Valley…

My Pop had a 72 911 Targa (the one with the stainless steel bando across the roof). How that goofy collapsable vinyl roof piece stayed in place at 130 mph, is still a mystery of German Engineering to me. Dang that car could handle!

1 Like

Raymond - it’s been a day or two since the term “apex seal” came to my mind…I have them in the g-lader on a car in my garage that has apex seals as well but it is of course not a Mazda.

Thanks for the reminder !

1 Like

[quote=“michaelb, post:24, topic:61742, full:true”]
Is it still a leak if it’s intentional?
[/quote]hanve

That would be a good question for the folks at Boeing - the ones that make the last helicopter I worked on during my last deployment the CH-47 Chinook.
One has to wonder about “leaks” when there is a large footlocker aboard with cans of hydraulic fluid. This was not a huge confidence boost to the folks that ask “what’s in the box” for the first time,. the usual reply was to tell them it really gets bad if it stops leaking…

Those aren’t leaks - it’s spreading preservation and anti-corrosives about the engine and transmission compartments. It has to be an accepted design feature because so many aircraft have it!

To mistake proof it so people won’t tamper with it, it is always placed in the most inaccessible place.

1 Like

“…large footlocker aboard with cans of hydraulic fluid…”
Holy Mackerel! Guess it wasn’t as scary as an EMPTY footlocker, though.

1 Like

I really liked the look of that style. By brother in law later had a whale tail, never cared for those far as looks.

The “911” models that were air cooled were by far the better looking of the model run.
My brother’s “later” model air cooled 911 is a 1990 cab but still retains the traditional 911 look inside and out and is dirt dirt cheap to maintain.

Oil changes can be surprise to a first time 911 owner at 10 litres per oil change for the non turbo engines.

1 Like

When those 911s hit 3 liters and above, they would really run; they could spank a Corvette on any road course from about '78-82. You could get a turbo back in the late 70s, but they had a lag which screwed-up their tight response on a curvy track. By the time of the Turbo-4S, the car had just about peaked, comparatively. I remember hitting 70 mph in 1st gear in a 4S, and it didn’t take long.

If the Americans owned speed in the 1960s, the Germans took it back in the 1970s, I don’t care what the Italians say to the contrary.