Prepping black iron pipe for welding?

I just updated the thread title and description to be more relevant to what the conversation has gone towards :sweat_smile:
I got busy yesterday and forgot to do it. Sorry everyone!

Iā€™ve never dealt with black iron pipe before. After some research online with other people who have used it, Iā€™ve just heard that they need to give it a good scrubbing with acetone to get the machine oil off of it. From some sources, it sounded like that was the black coating but I was probably wrong with thatā€¦

Youā€™ve welded it before? What steps did you go through to prepare it for welding?

Also, I want to say thank you to all of you for helping a novice like myself understand all of this a little better. I really appreciate all of your continued input! :raised_hands:
Iā€™m planning on doing this in the next month or so, so having all this to process is really helpful.

1 Like

I hit it with a wire wheel (like pretty much everything I weld) then have at it. Itā€™s really not a big deal.

2 Likes

Sounds good, Iā€™ll have to see if I can bug someone to walk me through everything to make sure Iā€™m doing it right when I can get all the materials.
Thanks!

I usually just weld it. In your case I may perhaps grind a bevel on the end but probably not and I would not weld it solid, depending on pipe size. You have not mentioned what size pipe but those castors will not lend themselves to more than a 1" pipe. 1" pipe I would weld solid just because it would be too much trouble to do otherwise. Remember: the less weld you use the less distortion you get, so try to weld ā€œJust enoughā€.

Just to complicate things I would recommend square tube over pipe. Looks better , easier to make tight joints and keep square, I think you will find it more cost effective. I think you could use 1.5 square with a 1/8 wall and still have room to put a wrench on the bolts. Lighter too.

For the piece Iā€™m making, Iā€™m really partial to the Industrial look that the black iron pipe gives it.
Iā€™m leaning towards 3/4 pipe right now.
And as was mentioned previously in the post, I wonā€™t be welding directly to the casters anymore. Iā€™ll be welding a plate to the pipe then mounting the casters to that plate.

You just have to be sure you have room for the bolt heads after you weld the plate on the end. 3/4" will be 1" OD and you have plenty of room for the bolt heads. you could even use 1" and clear quite nicely. Flash off!!