Preparedness kit for your car

First aid kit and fire extinguisher are both good ideas. I’ve got a first aid kit as well but it didn’t cross my mind. Times I’ve used the first aid: 0. Times I’ve used the gas can: 20+. It’s not that it’s not a good idea, just not top of mind like some of the other items.

I have found a “real” lug wrench to be most useful - the 4 way ones that can provider some leverage with a tight lug nut. Those offset standard ones that typically come with the car can be difficult.

2 Likes

I keep one in the truck for that reason. The push-pull that they offer is tremendously helpful when you’re trying to change a lug in a bad spot at an unexpected time.

The first year Claude and I were dating he gave me jumper cables for my birthday,

1 Like

Good defensive tool and have reason to be in car, but dash mounted might bring that into question its primary purpose is tires.

Officer: Why is that mounted on the dash?
Me: Ah, the Tire Monkey during the summer says it’s too hot in the trunk and his ASPCA Union rep says he gets to ride shotgun.

2 Likes

The rusty machete that found its way into one of my older vehicles would have been a far tougher thing to tapdance out of.

I can teach anyone to use the angle lug wrench. My 120lb daughter can loosen the lug nuts on my truck. Requires zero upper body strength. Just make 100% sure you have the wrench all the way on the nut and positioned horizontally. Then gently stand on the wrench. Immediately go to a shop for proper torque afterward.

If you have to stand on a long handle angle lug wrench to loosen it then it wasn’t torqued properly by the last shop. :frowning:

The long handle, angled one is best if you have someone who has a small frame or lot a lot of upper body strength to bust loose a lug nut.