Practical Projects Series: Patio Furniture - Outdoor Couch

I just signed up for this class and want to thank Joe King for running this series! I am not sure if he posts on Talk as I am still pretty new, but I wanted to bring up a tiny modification to these plans that can make this project more affordable. The shopping list and cut list is below.

Shopping List:
11- 2x4x10’ (prefer cedar boards)
2-1/2” self-tapping exterior decking screws
2-1/2” pocket hole screws (4)
Wood glue
Sandpaper

Cut List:
9- 2x4 @ 72”
13- 2x4 @ 25-1/2”
2- 2x4 @ 28-1/2”

If you modify the 72" length down to 70.5" minus the width of the miter saw blade, you can get both the 70.5" cut and the 25.5" cut out of a 2x4x8’ instead of buying 10’ long boards and being left with 22.5" of leftover board on 9 of your 2x4s.

If you are planning to buy cedar 2x4 so this outdoor couch will stand up to the weather buying the 2x4x8’ is much easier to find and will save money.

If my math is right you can then get all the cuts out of 11 2x4x8’:
9 2x4x8= 9 2x4 @ 70.5" and 9 2x4 @ 25.5"
1 2x4x8= 3 2x4 @ 25.5"
1 2x4x8= 2 2x4 @ 28.5" and 1 2x4 @ 25.5"
That should equal our total cut list and cut you scrap 2x4 leftovers from 9x 22.5" + 1x 19.5" + 1 13.5" to just 19.5" and the 13.5". I’d gladly give up 1.5" of the width of the couch to save that much scrap and wood cost.

Just wanted to post up to see if we wanted to modify the plans for the class so everyone saves, if not I’ll probably go this route to make the cedar more affordable.

2 Likes

I agree with the dimensions… The couches are designed to be clones of a Hampton Bay model from Home Depot, so those who do not wish to make cushions, those cushions should fit. I’m not thrilled with the back design and have noticed of the 'sectional extension, she has added another piece long the back.

I keep looking at other plans, but these are super simple and liked the idea of having projects where members could avoid roadblocks. For anyone who has taken my Cabinet making classes, it’s a poorly guarded secret that I don’t like visible screws, pockets screws, or exposed end grains. I’ve actually sketched out a version of this sofa with Mortis and Tenon joints and a different back, but I wanted to get a feel of where the class was. The cool thing about this class is that we can all ‘tweak’ the plans for our needs and/or skill level and still share from the common experiences.

If we countersink our screws and put plugs over them, then few people would ever notice; and the tenon approach makes the accuracy of the cuts much less forgiving.

4 Likes

I might be a last minute signup, depends on my schedule. Are folks meeting at the space at 5:30 and going to THD or meeting at a THD at 5:30?

We are meeting at Home Depot at 5:30PM. Text me if you would like to catch up with us. 865-384-8353

I’m not sure how much Cedar that Home Depot carries, but Hardwood Supply is just down the street, but I think they close at 4:30PM, Central Hardwood is also close, but they also close early.

If push came to shove, I could pick up materials for you and see you back at the space around 7:00. Even if you are going to be a bit late, you should plan to attend. This is the first of this series, but my other woodshed series- I think we’ve all had a good time.

They have 188 2x4x8’ rough green cedar boards at that location, I am assuming those will work for this?