PR is Meeting again for the next 2 weeks

I like the idea that new members should be warned. Those of us who use Talk recognize that it is an invaluable source of knowledge and information, but we also recognize that it is a no-hold-barred, sometimes toxic venue where we are brutally candid and frequently impolite.

If someone could write a suitable disclaimer, I would be glad to add it to the New Members 411 on the wiki, where it talks about “The Forums”.

2 Likes

I would go one further: Have it as a page you must read and acknowledge as part of the sign-up process for the regular and add-on members at the time they join and before they push the PAY button.

This forces an acknowledgement and documents notice was provided.

Truth. The idea is to

1. Get data on who needs what training.
  2. Allow trainers flexibility in how they train.

the first thing you’d get from the system is an email saying either “The next training class for this tool is on [date] at [time]; here’s a link to the calendar.” or “Another member who’s authorized to train you has been notified. Please be patient as we are all volunteers.” - or something more tactful and accurate that I can think of when I’m not sick as a dog.

/falls over

I’m working on the brochure and I realized I haven’t a clue as to what to say about storage that would be helpful for a new member.

Any help there would be appreciated.

I had a few other thoughts about some of the ideas thrown around at tonight’s PR meeting.

I like the idea of an orientation class that goes over the stuff everyone needs to know.

Once we have the orientation course developed, we can ask people at 7PM:
"If you already know you want to join, please head this way for the orientation"

I feel like the tour functions a little like a sales pitch, and so the people who are ready to sign up can jump right in and skip the sales pitch if they want. (I guess skipping the tour is already an option)

I also liked what David said about t-shirts.
Maybe for the Sunday tours we could have the screen printing stuff out, so we can screen and flash shirts on demand.
That kind of demonstration has a way of pulling people in, and then if they leave with something to wear, even if they don’t join, they have a shirt that might accidentally generate word of mouth.

3 Likes