Powermatic drum sander conveyor doesn’t move 1/19

First, a big thanks for the galant fix earlier in the month.

I came in today, and changed the sandpaper given the paper was loaded with resin.

I was on the machine for about 5 minutes when the conveyor stopped working. I hear the motor turning but it’s not moving the belt. I’m not sure it’s related to the first issue or not.

Damn. I will take a look at it in a few minutes. I’m wondering if the chain came off the sprocket because it seemed like it had a little too much slack in it.

I was using the drum sander today (1:30 ) and the belt quit working.

I was also using the planer and it kept shutting over about every 10 minutes. It allowed me to turn it right back on and start inning again but I did have to reset my depth.

David Godfrey
817-291-3679

We are working on getting a left handed tap & die to remake the part for the drum sander. I went on the assumption that the existing was right handed thread. This last time I used loctite with primer to try to keep it from happening again. I’d say more than likely I should have the new one fabricated by about Friday presuming I can get a 1/4-20 left handed tap & die locally.

7 Likes

Holy crap, your a human machinist after all. :grinning:

For a temp solution, why not just slather it in loctite.

Lol, I did. Ive been tempted to use bearing retaining loctite for it too.

Set screw time!
:rofl:

If we had a clutch on this tool it would be really helpful. People try to take too much off. Most just don’t have any point of reference, the other 90% don’t seem to care too much.

1 Like

Not enough meat to do it.

This is a great idea to explore. Are there spring loaded friction clutches available?

Brings to mind a favorite line: 68.93% of all statistics are made up.
Apologies to @Dwolf, the resident Woodshop statistician.

1 Like

The Wolf man @dwolf can make them mean anything you might need. :sunglasses:

If you’re asking what I think you’re asking, that is what that “torque limiter” is (basically a sprocket clamped between two spring-loaded friction disks; input on one side, output on the sprocket - although drive/driven should be largely irrelevant).
I’d be curious to see how this design would hold up in our environment. I would think the roller/ball bearing style would work better for this environment, but I haven’t found one of those for this kind of application yet. Tim probably has the conx, though.

Look like granger has internal and external

https://www.grainger.com/category/machining/threading/taps-internal-threading-tools?attrs=Thread+Direction|Left+Hand&filters=attrs

https://www.grainger.com/category/machining/threading/dies-external-threading-tools/thread-making-round-dies?attrs=Thread+Direction|Left+Hand&filters=attrs

Granger is @TBJK version of a 7-11, he knows it all too well. It is also priced like 7-11 and is a last resort when spending DMS funds.

They actually don’t have the die locally in stock. I checked yesterday. They did have a LH 1/4-20 tap at their Vickery location. I’m going to try Crouch in the morning. They are only open until 4pm sharp. I’ve showed up a few minutes after 4 with nobody around at all only to find out they closed at 4. Big D tool would be my next stop.

2 Likes

thanks for your work on this machine

Any updates on the drum sander?

Still working on it.

6 Likes