Powered Cutting Shears?

Do we have powered cutting shears, like this sort of thing?

They exist around the shop. We had some in metal but need to determine their current location (used to be in the tool chest, check the lower drawers if one gets there before I do)

Wonderful! I’m not planning to use them today - just planning ahead.

They are suggested as the best way to cut FRP. When we put the FRP panels around the sink in 102 we will need to cut one or two holes to go around the plumbing.

EDIT: There will be two panels and I figured if we put the seam where the pipes are, then each “hole” can be a U-shaped notch which should be easier to cut than a true “hole”.

Yes we do. Machine shop has a good pair.

What size hole? We can use the turret punch to knock it out. Or I have some. Different size knockout punches too.

Now that I see the photo … it looks like we need one hole so the clean out cap is unobstructed, and a rectangular hole for the various bits of plumbing/drain. I figured we could seam the two FRP panels at the left edge of the plumbing hole. That could be a rectangular notch in just one panel and it could slide in from one side. The other one we would have to punch or otherwise cut a hole for the clean out pipe (or whatever that is).

We can get some various sized escutcheons to fill out around the holes & the clean out.

1 Like

Do you have any idea the largest punch we have for the turret punch? I’m guessing the clean-out is probably a 3" hole.

There is definitely a 3” one, because I dug it up for @bertberaht during our adventure with the Multicam on Monday. Pretty sure there were larger ones as well. Not sure where it ended up, though. I found it in the “specialized drill bits” drawer of the red toolbox out in the generic workshop space. I thing Bert found other sizes in a drawer of the toolbox in the woodshop next to the drill press.

I’ll go trolling around when I get over there.

1 Like

Judy, that was a hole saw. Think they are talking about something else when they say “punch”.

1 Like

This is the turret punch

I’m 60% sure it doesn’t go up to 3", so the hole saw might still be of interest…

See, I TOLD you I know nuthin. Punch, hole saw. Same difference to me… makes a hole.

3 Likes

Such a kidder you are!

1 Like

I think it goes only to 2”. forgot to look earlier. I did also see our Ingersoll Rand pneumatic shears Wednesday or Thursday.

We used @Kriskat30’s dremel.

1 Like

I neglected to specify that we needed an electric-powered tool (vs. pneumatic).

:slight_smile:

1 Like