Power Steering System - Automotive Help Needed Friday 9/21 - Joval Shamsoum

Hey All!

First post to talk so I’m sorry if it is laking specific details, but I am looking for some help with my power steering pump. I will be replacing the o-rings for the low and high pressure lines. I would also like to remove my crank pulley and replace the front oil seal. I am mechanically inclined and can do all the work myself, but I prefer to have a buddy with me just in case something does go array…which usually happens. This replacement will involve removing motor mounts, supporting the engine, and will most likely be a 3-4hr job.

I have the entire day off from work, ideally I would like to get an early start so I can enjoy the rest of the day. Thanks in advance to anyone that wants to join!

Thanks,
Joval S.

2 Likes

I’ve added you to the DMS_Members group, which gives you access to the members only sections and moved your thread to Automotive.

1 Like

Joval,

What year make and model?

Front crank pulley - not bad on some cars & near impossible on others with using colorful language.
It is a timing belt, timing gear, or timing chain engine?

The oil seal is behind the timing belt drive gear - so unless the timing belt has been changed recently…now would be a good time to tackle that as well.

I’d suggest a little dye in the steering fluid to help pinpoint the source of the leak.

Hey TLAR,

2007 Honda civic, 1.8L FWD. This engine is a R18 and uses a timing chain. There is a tensioner in it but I’m not planning to remove the chain case, just the crank pulley.

Looking on HondaFitJazz.com there is no need to remove the crank case to replace the Front Seal. I have diagrams and pictures if you want to review them with me. I might one day replace the timing chain and tensioner but I don’t think it’ll be soon lol.

As for the power steering leak I have already used the UV dye to find the leak and determined it was leaking from the inlet/outlet of the pump. The o-rings went bad, so I got replacement o-rings.

I’ll be in DMS early morning around 9:30-10am to start prepping/working, feel free to come join!

2 Likes

Joval,

Chain drive makes it much easier.
Chain drive components do wear and need replacing but are usually good for quite a long time (i do say “usually” due to some exceptions).

I work Tues to Sat at my daily grind…so tomorrow morning is out for me.

Except for those chains with pesky hydraulic chain tensioners! :wink:

1 Like

“most” chains (with tensioners) have hydraulic tensioners. Some of those systems are/were poorly designed by “engineers” that should be selling shoes or doing something else.

But there are some car owners that stray away from suggested maintenance intervals and /or approved oils etc that often result in less than desirable or expensive repairs. And of course there are the dishonest repair shops that say one thing and do another…

1 Like