Power Shutdown Wednesday 2/6/19 - RESOLVED

There will be a building-wide power shutdown Wednesday 2/6/19. ONCOR needs to replace the transformer behind our building that is leaking oil.

Their plan:

• Shutdown 4am 2/6/19
  • Down for about 6 hours

We need to plan for everything to be down for the entire business day Wednesday 2/6/19. The current weather forecast is for morning thunderstorms and I don’t know if that will affect their plans/schedule. I’m not sure I believe that they will start precisely at 4am, nor can we be assured that they will be done by noon. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

You should be able to remotely determine whether the power is on by looking at the camera page. If the camera is down - so is the power!

Here are the action items:

1. @Kriskat30 … please decide what time to lock down and vacate the building.
  2. All members, plus @Team_Automotive, @Team_Motorsports - all vehicles need to be cleared from around the transformer. Please do not move your junkers to the neighbors’ parking areas. @Team_Logistics - please set a deadline for vehicle removal that allows you enough time to tow vehicles if needed.
  3. @Team_Infrastructure or @Team_Logistics: If the Board decides they want to lock down the building …
  • Lock/secure the building when the camera servers go offline. No one should be in the building with a complete power outage or without camera coverage.
  • Unlock the building when the power is restored.
  1. @Team_Logistics - remove the racking that is stacked by the transformer (if it hasn’t already been moved)
  2. @Team_Infrastructure - Shut down and restore the servers
  3. @Team_PR
  • Post the shutdown schedule on our outward facing website
  • Post some printed notices around the space
  1. @Committee_Chairs
    • Notify your committees
    • Post the shutdown schedule on your various social media outlets
    • Prepare anything that needs special shutdown or protection.
    • @Team_Science - will your spiders be OK if we are without power/heat?
    • @brendamvilla, @meanbaby, @nausser915 - you may want to schedule any length firings, etc. accordingly
  2. @Team_Calendar - notify class instructors who are or may be impacted
13 Likes
6 Likes

@talkers John, you have a laser class scheduled (and still in the review queue) at high noon on Wednesday.

2 Likes

Updates on details:

• The building will be closed and locked while the power is out. No one will be allowed to enter or to stay in the building.
  • Kris will be onsite after the scheduled completion time to determine when the building can be reopened.
5 Likes

I have a class that evening from 6:30P until 9:00P. Would you recommend I cancel it?

ONCOR thinks we’ll be back up before noon. I think that you are most probably OK. You should caution your participants that there is a small chance you might have to cancel.

2 Likes

can we turn the makerspace into a scary haunted house while the power is out and everything is dark and scary

1 Like

It would be the perfect opportunity to do a blair witch makerspace type short film …

4 Likes

What about Parks Pantry and the spaces refrigerator?

1 Like

We called Parks Pantry but haven’t heard anything.

Axeonos is going to take care of our fridge.

Fair to say that if the cameras are down, power is still off? Or, stating as contrapositive, if the cameras are up, then the power is back on?

1 Like

Are you having withdrawals?

Delirium Tremens…

Also, had been looking for an opportunity to use the word “contrapositive” for some time now.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s a safe assumption.

1 Like

Contrapositive is a PITA to use in English language. Somewhat more possible if you are hanging out with folks who proof math theorems.

My favorite odd word is penultimate. Means 2nd to last. More possible to use it, unusual circirmstances have to occur to have it be a valid statement. “Our penultimate board meeting was the shortest I have seen in 6 years.”

Enjoy…lol.

1 Like

Appears to be on.

3 Likes

It is on. I confirmed it with Kris, who is on site.

3 Likes

7 Likes

5 Likes