Powder Coating Oven Spot Training

Hello all,

I just signed up today to take advantage of the media blaster and powder coating equipment and I noticed there was a training requirement to operate the oven and a lock on the breaker box. Would best bet be to come after the Saturday committee to have the spot training or is the oven inoperable at this time?

Thanks

1 Like

Hello @tjcaustin, Saturday will probably be the best time to train on the powder coating oven unless someone else decides to spot train you sooner. You come to the meeting & contribute, you are far more likely to get trained on equipment sooner.

3 Likes

The oven should be in working order, but you’ll need to take the “Hot Process Safety” and/or the Lock Out Tag Out training because the oven is large enough to lock someone inside and cook them.

1 Like

I would definitely show up for the Metal Shop meeting this Saturday at noon. We meet, clean, and then @hon1nbo usually does some training for folks. So far as I know, the powder coating oven is working.

I see Tim beat me to it…

2 Likes

He’s so fast!

2 Likes

Oh, and there’s a Hot Process Safety class on Friday. If you can attend that, it’ll make things go faster on Saturday. You’ll need your own safety glasses, as Metal Shop isn’t providing PPE during the pandemic. Look on the wiki (committees, Metal Shop) for the right specs, as we want you to have ones that will provide some protection against arc flash.

1 Like

Wonderful. Thank you all for the fast responses.

2 Likes

Although when I opined that maybe “DIY Cremation” might be an interesting application for honorarium, I was informed that it doesn’t get that hot. So I guess it’d be more like becoming a human hotdog.

2 Likes

400F is pretty well-done IMO.

Its the sintering furnace that would to that. It would get to at least 1400c. Unfortunately I dont think we have the foot print or the power for it.