Powder Coating Equipment contact

Howdy all,

I just wanted to check if this is still on for Tuesday evening. I’ll plan to be there either way, but want to make sure I don’t miss the class. I’m excited about this one!

I have not heard from @dallasmagna otherwise; I assume it is on! Exciting.

This is just an unofficial class. I am no expert (done two pieces so far)
so maybe we can learn together.

3 Likes

Thank you Chuck for showing us how to use powder coating equipment!

If there is anyone out there interested in learning how to powder coat I am willing to teach back.

6 Likes

Outstanding! Yes, I would like to learn about the equipment and process!

I’m in to teach a powdercoating class, i’ve done about 50 stainless steel tumblers by now (comebined at home & dms).

But the last time I used the oven at the space, I had issue with it keeping a steady 400 degree F, is it fixed now?

5 Likes

Happy to hear it went well! Please do. Desparately wanted to be there for this, but other obligations…

2 Likes

Paul, sounds like you are the most experienced willing to teach! Let’s keep this rolling and justify getting a better gun.

We fired up that small oven and the temps did seem a little bouncy. However, we probably should use a temp probe which measures air temperature inside the box instead of surface temps.

1 Like

Not sure which small oven you are talking about. Is it the one from the Creative Arts room or another one i’m not familiar with?

The one I would like to teach the class with is the full size oven (the one that is tall enough for me to stand in).

We need to look into a filtration system for spraying parts, I was thinking a cube the size of a home oven, with filters on all sides, with fans on the back side. Add lighting.

The powdercoating gun at the space needs to be upgraded. I’ve tried using it, and even with a GOOD ground, it was difficult to get the powder to cling to the parts. An inexpensive unit that I’ve had good luck with is the dual-voltage Eastwood gun.

My powder of choice is from www.prismaticpowders.com

Hey Chuck
Sorry I couldn’t stay for your demo.
I hope you planning to offer another.
Bones

@Paul_Mai I believe the small oven that was referenced is the one we pulled out of the island of blacksmithing equipment for the class. It’s around the size of a large jewelry kiln with metal lock/handle on left side. The toaster from CA basically wasn’t happy and didn’t want to open/close without knocking parts over.

The large oven you referred to I believe is in process of being rewired into a new control box per @dallasmagna.

If we build a filtering cabinet, could we also look into a way of recycling the excess powder back into a container?

That’s right, I remember @dallasmagna was going to rebuild that panel. It would be great to have it reliable again.

It’s not worth the time or effort to reclaim the excess powder from the filtering cabinet. There’s also potential to damaging the gun with old powder, dust, and whatever settles in that area. The powder is sensitive to humidity and temperature, so I don’t want powder that’s been sitting out for days/weeks to be mixed in with good powder.

The re-wire should be pretty easy. I really wouldn’t mind doing it, it’s just finding the time to do so.

1 Like

I have plans for a larger one that uses melamine for the enclosure. All that is needed is one or two fans on th back wall with aluminimun angle slides for filters. The fans are switched to allow one or both to work. Below the powdering area, there are shelves that can hold the gun, powder, cleaning material, etc. Can also put doors on it that can swing out providing more enclosure and then closed and latched when done creating a nice self contained unit. With casters on the bottom, it can be easily moved around. I’d be happy to meet and come up with plans to do a build with folks who want to build one.

Unfortunately I’ll be out of town for a few weeks, but I’ll still be able to keep up with this thread.

I’ll be back around Jan 18th

1 Like

There is this one in the room by plasma CNC.

Watching this thread to see when this ability returns to DMS as I have several parts that need to be coated.

:slight_smile:

Do we know if this equipment is running now? I also need a basic powder coating tutorial as it has been about 4 years when I was shown how (not hands on). I also have a couple of pieces I need to powder coat. Please keep this thread going.

@vsustko i remember that oven now. But I’d like the large oven to work for the class since it’ll be more widely used.

I just got back from out of town and will check my schedule and see what I can get time and teach.

1 Like

Welcome back! You did not miss much, I do not believe anyone has done power coating since.