Powder coat small object?

I need some advice please.

I’m making a working 1/12 scale bench vise. I’d like to somehow color the outside of the vise. In my perfect world it would be red or blue or green. There are three colored parts - they will be bronze castings. I do not want any color on the inside or moving parts. (By my standards) there isn’t a lot of detail on the parts - i.e., no text, logos, etc. I don’t have any feeling as to the obscuration that powder coating creates.

(EDIT: Let me clarify. All the parts will be functional, but this item won’t ever be used. The coloration is purely cosmetic.)

I can put a wire through these as needed. Is this something suitable for powder coat? Is there a way to mask off the areas I don’t want coated? Is there a better solution than powder coat? (I considered enameling but from what I read, enameling tends to readily flake off of bronze).

The only photos I have right now are the wax.

You can, but you might not get enough fine detail as at that scale the powder may run a little bit.

Cerakote might be a better option; it’s super thin and hard ceramic coating. Sprays on with air at room temp and doesn’t have vocs (you can use an airbrush though I’d get a fresh tip and pot just so you don’t mix it)

It bakes at a lower temperature than powder coat, around 250F.

Cerakote doesn’t have as much colours available and is mostly matte finishes, but it leaves engraved and fine detail easily. For some perspective I use it on my firearms where the stamped serials and manufacture engraving cannot be filled in.

3 Likes

Do you prep your stuff on the vapor hone when you Cerakote?

Similar prep process as powder coating. It’s a bit pickier since the coating is so thin. I know most shops would do a chem prep but I’m personally unsure of the best one to use or what’s most appropriate