Potential Surface Grinder Purchase

If purchased, we should consider getting the surface plate calibrated, putting a better cover on it (or better, not allowing people to set things on the cover), pick up a fresh tenths indicator and a good indicator stand (not the magnetic base type). That’s a good start to the measuring equipment we need to use a surface grinder.

If budget allows, consider a grinding vice as well. Grinding parallel surfaces will get boring quickly.

4 Likes

I did go ahead and put a special meeting on the calendar. (11 am this morning)
The meeting will be Tuesday (3-10-2020) evening in the Lecture Hall at 7pm.

2 Likes

Reminder folks the special meeting is tomorrow evening. I have set up a conference call line. If you would like the information for the call in, please PM me. I don’t want a bunch of robo-callers calling in. If you can’t make that, give your proxy to someone who you know will be there. Obviously I will be there, so I am an option. Others can chime in if they will be attending.

There is no phone in the Lecture Hall, so we may need to use someone’s phone that’s better than mine. My speaker phone doesn’t work too well.

1 Like

I don’t think I can make it so I hearby give my proxie to Tim Bene.
I just can’t see a good consistent use case for this,so given the cost and space requirements I have to vote nay.

I’m tied up Tuesday night till after 8:30PM so give my proxie to Tim Bene.
Randy

I plan on being there, but if not, I grant Tim Bene my proxy to vote as he deems fit at the Tuesday, march 9th Machine Shop Committee special meeting…

David Kessinger

I can’t make the meeting tonight.

I have a slight personal preference for the new machine over the one we already have.

But, @TBJK - you have my proxie. Vote it as you see fit.

I will see you guys who show up soon.

I’m going to be in late tonight. You have my proxy for in favour of getting it.

I think it’s going to be safer to use than our existing since there is less to screw up once it’s running, and it has the enclosures etc

1 Like

I’d like to thank all of you for showing up as well as who proxied their votes.

It’s important to remember this was a committee decision, not one persons vote mattered more than any other.

Alas the minutes of tonight’s meeting. Thank you @skyspook for taking the minutes.
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Machine_Shop_Special_Meeting_20200310#Present

8 Likes

Sad news, but the Grinder was not approved due to the fact we have no idea when we’re opening again. Tim did a great job giving the pros/cons. Maybe we’ll get another chance in the future.

2 Likes

To clarify this was dismissed but encouraged to be brought back up when we know how things end up, but there is the acknowledged chance they will sell to another buyer in that timeframe.

2 Likes

My gut tells me that if this Covid-19 hadn’t taken as much root, then it would have likely been approved. The board is doing their fiduciary duty to keep us in flux in this unstable time. I can respect that.

6 Likes

Agreed (and thanks for the clarification Jim). I guess keep our eyes out for similar, or chat with the guy when things open back up.

We will keep this in mind as it is a great deal. We just know so little at the moment what our operations are going to look like.

5 Likes