Potential Snowman Making Class

I am looking for some input for Angela and I to give a Snowman class. We would provide all the materials at a nominal cost. Just looking for some input. It would be a three hour class as last year we gave one and could have used more time. Evening or weekend. No days as we have “real jobs.”

6 Likes

YES PLEASE FOR THE LOVE THAT IS ALL THINGS HOLY PLEASE PLEASE DO THIS CLASS AGAIN!

… yes I meant to scream that.

Look at this snowman I made last year! He needs a buddy!

15 Likes

Definitely interested in this. It would be a really good gift!

1 Like

I’m in again.

And mine was far better than that goggle-eyed stumpy-armed Churchill-nosed monstrosity:

6 Likes

I’d be in as well.

1 Like

We actually would like to do it twice. The timing is important.If we do a 2nd class the folks who took the class last year will have first shot.I have lots of blanks cut from prime East Texas Mesquite. Just have to find a goodsource for cheap buttons. The mesquite I cut so that is almost free. Like me.
Angela just finished one of the black belts I made. I still have 20 blanks to do.

Jeff Whitcomb

“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW
[email protected]

3 Likes

If I’m going to make a snowman … it will need to be something like …

That is so cool. Thanks for posting.

Jeff Whitcomb

“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW
[email protected]

1 Like

Check out Super Textiles on Perth Street (off Harry Hines, south of Walnut Hill.). He has TONS o’ buttons. Whether they are the ones you want remains to be seen…

1 Like

Why not turn the buttons on the lathe? Looks like a pen blank would work well (or a 1.5" blank).

1 Like

I’m definitely in, I couldn’t make last year’s (wasn’t signed off on the lathes yet) and am jealous of snowpunk man

2 Likes

Thanks. I will head down there tomorrow.I appreciate the heads up. The buttons were the biggest cost.I cut down all the trees for the snowmen so all I had in it was fuel, chainsand my time.

Jeff Whitcomb

[email protected]

1 Like

Is there a particular type of button required/recommended (in the photo those look like shank buttons)? It wouldn’t have seemed odd at all to me if you’d asked students to bring in two buttons for eyes and 3 for buttons. Rather than provide them I mean.

Craft stores like Hobby Lobby, Michaels and Jo-Ann carry a decent selection of round and flat wooden parts.

They do have a short shank on them. About 1/4"
We have searched the regular stores.
I think I will go down to the one off Walnut Hill and look.

I have enough for one class. They just run around 3 bucks and I like to keep the cost reasonable and not take the hit myself. Though for a few bucks spreading snowmen around Texas is a good thing.

The buttons we use make for easier and more permanent placement.

Thanks for the feedback. It is a fun class and mesquite is one of the most durable woods in the world.

3d print your buttons? There are various buttons on Thingiverse.

1 Like

Hey, what’s wrong with Churchill noses?!??

:smiley:

3 Likes

I’ll also dig around in my vast button stash for possiblities.

1 Like

You mean if you do 4-5 classes… Because if your students from last time are demanding another go, think of all the others still needing to learn your wonders.

4 Likes

I think I have a decent mother lode to offer you.
I separated out all the black or dark grey ones into a separate baggie, as well as most of the red or hot pink (in case someone wants to make a possessed snow person). And there’s still lots left over, many in dark colors that could pass for black under the right light conditions.:smirk:

One of the pix shows my watch for size reference. I was too lazy to go get a coin for comparison. In any case, if you want them, they are yours.

CE04A807-84F3-4B91-BF62-8FB92864E78A
70DEAD68-9F4A-4E84-B1E3-88472077BC92
F4C6E1DE-5A25-4694-83C5-EB3440FFE21D
CD8D886F-AA8B-49EF-BA8A-00FD644D4FE5

4 Likes