Potential new member

good afternoon everyone. I’m considering joining the space but like most people I have concerns about available training. I would hate to sign up just to only be able to look at most of the equipment indefinitely. I am a CNC machinist and programmer. I work on 3, 3+2, and 5 axis mills, making mostly aerospace, medical, and military components. I also have an OSHA 10 hour training cert for general industry safety and health. Could having this count towards some of the training requirements needed? at least until classes actually start to become more available?

2 Likes

Greetings. You will need to reach out to the chair of the equipment your wanting to utilize for an exemption.

Classes cover 2 things. Safety and how to use the equipment for those that have never used a tool. Also our expectations and how we do things for those that have used the tool before. For example, don’t adjust the Z height on 3D poly printers even if you have one at home unless your cleared to do so by 3D fab.

If you tag @team_(insert committee here) it will bring it to their attention.

1 Like

What exactly are you interested in?

We can only direct you if we know what you are wanting to do.

thank you guys. my main interest is in the wood, automotive, and metal shops. and I would be willing to assist in the machine shop if needed.

Chances are good… that’s @Team_Machine_Shop. Metal Shop is more welding and hot metal, although some of the saws and grinders are there as well.

So – from what I’ve seen of Machine Shop, the answer is “very probably”. At this point, I’d recommend coming to the Machine Shop Committee meeting this coming Saturday, 12/26, at 5pm. You don’t need to be a member to come to the meeting. Practically everybody who could/would help out will be there, either in person or virtually. I would recommend being here a little early. You can ring the doorbell at the front entrance to get in, but there does need to be somebody up front to hear the bell and open the door.

North end of the building, with the handicap ramp. If you’re using GPS, that’s actually the Suite 102 entry, even though it says Suite 104.

Automotive, there is not much required training. Metal shop, we do require hot process training before any welding/CNC plasma classes can be taken. The hot process class is held online. Also most of the time, metal shop has a committee meeting, if you show up you are likely to get trained. Really, if you start spending time & helping folks in the committees, people are more willing to help get you trained faster.

1 Like

I’ll see if I can make it up there saturday. and I can understand hot process training. I appreciate the input

Most of the training is very basic skills, safety related, where consumables are stored and startup and shutdown tasks. First few months can be frustrating since you have to check multiple times per day to see if a class you want is on the calendar and has openings. Once you come to a few committee meetings and get to know people its a lot more fun, at least it was for me. There are quite a few things in metal and machine shop that don’t have classes, just come to the committee meeting to get checked out. The advantage to the committee if you can take a class is $50 per class gets allocated to the committee to help fund future equipment purchases. If you don’t see a class you want on the calendar post something on talk requesting a class.