Strandbeest Bike Group Build Discussion

I have three maker crushes - Jean-Luc Courcoult, Elon Musk, and Theo Jansen - it’s an accent thing for sure.

Two years ago I met Theo or “Mr.T” at maker faire and I straight went from “hey he’s a neat guy” to “let me smell your eyeballs” geek-out freak-out. AND I was able to see Theo Jansens art show in Chicago where we watched one of the beasts wake up and I was able to direct one around. Magic people. Straight magic. One of the best shows I’ve seen.

Anyone up for a group build?
http://www.strandbeest.com/beests_leg.php

https://makezine.com/2016/11/30/6-common-problems-to-avoid-when-building-a-strandbeest/

3 Likes

I don’t have any skills that would help with this, but wanted to just thank you for sharing. I’ve never seen these before and they are awesome! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m very interested in a project like this; biggest concern is going to be space IMO; we’d want to be able to test segments at the very least, and the shops are very cramped. After hours weekdays or weekends would allow a little bit of the parking lot, but weather dependent. We’re getting into spring showers.

Cheers,
~H

1 Like

Here is a RC laser cut version.

3 Likes

Maybe something this size would be more manageable? And would be a great publicity piece for the space when ridden at any local event. I’d like to see the front end made of legs too. Steering could be fun.

And an Adam Savage version

YAS Queen YAS!

Perfection. I found the group that at least published the bike video and wrote them over Facebook in hopes they can connect us with the builder. I watched the one day stranbeest video Adam Savage did and he basically wanted to punch it in the neck. I think we could get to this point but not as our first run.

The bike sized one is perfection (in my humble and absolutely correct opinion). I’m going to look at my calendar and see when I can put down a planning meeting for this. This is well out of my range of skills but I think our tribes collective brains would enjoy doing something like this. Well done sir! I’m going to look for my picture with Theo so you can see how crazy-fan-girl I got.

Proof is in the pudding.

Here you go interwebs…Straight crazy-eyed long Nicole plus my darling Mr.T I’m sure he’s waiting to proclaim his love for me - just sure of it. My friend and I sat down two presentations early to get a good seats. She didn’t even know who he was and I was frothing at the mouth by time he walked in.

And me walking a beest in Chicago. Oh it was so cool.

I’m down to lend two hands to a build like this!

I’m really excited! I downloaded the formula, started making some super ugly bones on Inkscape and brought home some popsicle sticks. Would it be ok to meet early April? Next week is a bit tight for me.

About early April, as in next week … :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I think this cool, I want to make one with a 1hp* electrical motor so it isn’t classified as a motor vehicle. Would love to go to store in it. too wide to go through JIB drive through.

.*Or Whatver the limit is

I’ve been searching for more information - the person never got back to me on Facebook so I’ve tracked them down on twitter and wrote them this morning.

Here is the recipe and outline for success! thanks @motopilot I like dat brain.
http://www.iblaine.com/building-a-walking-bike-strandbeest-bike/

What’s a good day for everyone to meet?

Pretty much don’t have a life … so pick a time.

Trying to be proactive

I put in a meeting for planning this beast out -

Creative Arts Room on Wednesday April 11th 7pm

2 Likes

Hey, This project sounds really cool! I don’t know how much help I can be but I’d like to join you. I’ll do some more research on these.

1 Like

Yas! I found the build blog and I’ve been talking with one of the guys who built this. It’s going to be complex but doable. Come - ill bring something to nosh on as we talk about our skill set and what and not to build this.

At Machine Shop and Metal Shop committee meetings last night it was brought the to get a good pipe notcher. It is critical for a project like this where angles are critical and will be done numerous times

• We can cut all the various pipe to length in the Cold Cut Saw
  • Notch all the pieces in notcher getting clean precise cuts.
  • Build welding jigs to ensure alignment

We can ensure that all the cuts and welding are properly aligned. Anybody that wants to build one can use the set-ups and greatly reduce cutting times and welding set-up times.

I plan on making one. Hopefully several others will also. If you think you may want to build you should leas get the materials all cut and notched and some sub-assembliies weld up. You can do the final build later.

I want to make mine like the bicycle seat version but with a 1HP electric motor, it will have two wheels on the side, not tandem so it qualifies under Texas Law.

SUBCHAPTER C. ELECTRIC PERSONAL ASSISTIVE MOBILITY DEVICES

Sec. 551.201. DEFINITION. In this subchapter, “electric personal assistive mobility device” means a two non-tandem wheeled device designed for transporting one person that is:

(1) self-balancing; and

(2) propelled by an electric propulsion system with an average power of 750 watts or one horsepower.

Sec. 551.202. OPERATION ON ROADWAY. (a) A person may operate an electric personal assistive mobility device on a residential street, roadway, or public highway with a speed limit of 30 miles per hour or less only:

(1) while making a direct crossing of a highway in a marked or unmarked crosswalk;

(2) where no sidewalk is available; or

(3) when so directed by a traffic control device or by a law enforcement officer.

(b) A person may operate an electric personal assistive mobility device on a path set aside for the exclusive operation of bicycles.

© Any person operating an electric personal assistive mobility device on a residential street, roadway, or public highway shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand edge.

(d) Except as otherwise provided by this section, provisions of this title applicable to the operation of bicycles apply to the operation of electric personal assistive mobility devices.

2 Likes

Reminder Strandbeest bike meet up tonight.
I’m brining something strange made of chocolate.
This a planning meeting.

Tonight (Wednesday 11th) CA room 7-8p
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/5702

1 Like

I’m taking Chris’ coveted embroidery machine class tonight, but I will definitely poke my head in there and see how y’all are doing.

…despite the fact that I don’t have m(any?) helpful skills for this particular project…

I’m in the same boat - hoping collectively we might be able to make this work

Anyone interested please take a look see at this website:

http://www.iblaine.com/building-a-walking-bike-strandbeest-bike/