Possible room names

Inventor and artist list
Da Vinci for the interactive room
Edison of the major lecture Halls.

Tesla the other lecture hall
Picasso they all say a room
Grace Hopper one of the computer type rooms because of her importance to programming
Jack Kilby inventor of the integrated circuit chip he did this at t i so he’s local
Wright brothers
Archimedes the first invento

James Watt inventor of the steam engine and other things
George Washington Carver

Borland inventor of the Green Revolution

Allconnect list one in honor of this being the 50th anniversary of man’s landing on the moon. Room names Telstar, Mercury,

Gemini, Apollo, Redstone, Atlas, Saturn,

Alternate list to fictional inventors
Doc Brown, Doctor Who, Tom Swift, brain, MacGyver, the professor, Buckaroo Banzai, dr. Bruce Bannister

I kind of liked the idea of continuing the color coding theme because then it is easy to find the Purple/Pink/Blue/Etc classroom on the building maps.

Speaking of which, its probably going to be a good idea to have building maps spread out throughout the building for both navigation in the every day sense as well as navigation to exits in the case of an emergency. We’ve got a bit of a maze on our hands. I’m certain this isn’t an original idea and that someone is already working on this.

2 Likes

The rooms ‘north lobby classroom’ and ‘north lobby conference room’ are easy to find. If you name a room ‘the James Watt room’, it will be more difficult to find. We might be able to encourage more new members to ‘poke their head in’ on committee meetings and classes if the rooms were easy to find.

We should resist the urge to add another layer to the ‘wheres my classroom’ onion just because those of us who have been here longer think it’s quirky or cool. It will be more information a new member has to process and commit to memory.

Written by the group for descriptive names of rooms, who’s office building did this (8 rooms), and we’re still learning names over a year later.

4 Likes

Auction the naming rights, we will end up making money in the process.

2 Likes

Yeah I can barely keep straight which is 102 and which is 104. Original Workshop and Expansion Workshop would be so much easier

Could be cool to have wallpaper on insulation board though so we could have our quirky still and soundproof. Welcome to the Ducky room haha

And you’ll probably still be struggling ten years from now. When my school district bought an 80’s era office building to house our administrative offices, effectively quadrupling the size of the administration utilizing, we were positively giddy over the meeting room spaces. But we had our own names e room was known as the Star Wars room, because it has these slanted windows that overlook the entry, like the bridge in Star Trek or Lost in Space. Then somebody decided they should be named after Texas features, cities, etc. Bluebonnet, Garland, Rowlett and Sachse, Sabine and other randomness. I think the one room is STILL called the Star Wars room by the building staff 10-15 years later. Despite the fact that the building has had about 90% turnover since we moved in. (Retirements, new positions elsewhere…) and when I left, I still had to stop and ponder to figure out where the Sabine room was when helping a lost visitor.

I will make a bid and of course name it…

Roomy McRoomface

5 Likes

I would think that we would be smart if we would do something like The DaVinci interactive room, are the Edison lecture hall. Just to help those of us who already have one set of knives in our head.

I also had an idea that each room gets its own logo the size of a lightbulb bredesen AR are an airplane for the Wright brothers. That icon is used either on the door or next to the door it is used on maps as well as the name. It’s a visual cue as to that room as well maybe you don’t remember it’s Edison room but it’s the room with the light bulb.

There is no 102; we’re all 104 now. Nothing @ Monetary is “original”; at the very least, there was a workshop at Lady Bird.

All well and good until we expand into the rest of this building, or move into another building further north or move the lobby for some currently unimaginable reason…

If I’m understanding the gist of this, I like the idea of a large “room icon”, epitomized by an airplane for the “Wright Bro.s Room” or a light bulb for the “Edison Room”, a radio for the “Marconi Room”, the helicopter thingy for the “Leonardo DaVinci Room”, etc. I like the idea of “room icons” regardless of the theme, though some themes lend themselves better than others.

1 Like

And even that’s not “original”, there was a workshop at Audelia. :smile:

Why do we need to change the names? I agree that we should keep them as they are. It is already too difficult for new members and non members to find the correct rooms, this is adding unnecessary hardship for the sake of fluff.

1 Like

Name the rooms whatever you want, but include a room NUMBER too. At my workplace the older buildings have room names, and we always have to look up where they are. In the new building, they are numbered by floor clockwise. So even if you don’t know where the room is, you can find it by following the numbers.

8 Likes

I’m brand new to DMS and am visually oriented and directionally challenged. :wink: Personally I would very much appreciate the icons for each room, as well as the paint and color scheme idea, and have those things tied to big maps spread throughout the facility. The words or names of the rooms would be secondary for me, as I’d immediately pick up on the color coding and icon first, (Edison’s light bulb (yellowish cream color), DaVinci’s man in a circle (sepia), Doc Brown’s Flux Capacitor (blue), Tesla’s guitars… (red) (kidding!).

Just input from a newbie who’s still finding his way around the space, (and absolutely loving the space and the people in it, btw).

4 Likes

Brilliant!

“Silent Lucidity” brings a tear to my eye still today! ( :wink: )

1 Like

We have a whole lot of non-nerd members (I’m a nerd, so there’s that), so my advice is use the ‘KISS’ method. Don’t get too ‘deep’ with the lingo or lexicon. Keep it something that EVERYONE can relate to (e.g., colors, numbers, planets, rivers, cities, countries, etc.). If we are going to use pop culture references, keep them broad (think Disney or Marvel as examples).

“That’s Ridiculous”, “Inconceivable” would be a few I’d name it if I won the Auction

I have a similar experience with conference rooms at my office. Only thing I can remember is that Texas is the biggest one.

2 Likes

Where I grew up, a nearby city, Lake Jackson, Texas, named their streets, “This way”, “That Way”. “Which Way”, “Paint Brush” and “Van Winkle Dr. and Van Winkle Street” and “Flag E & W” and after every flower, tree or shrub you could imagine.

You take This Way to get to That Way to Paint Brush at Van Winkle and Flag or some such directions.

Let’s name the rooms similarly. :grinning: Seriously, my office named their rooms after constellations and stars. It took everyone a while to know which constellation or star their meeting was in. My favorite was Betelgeuse.

Good idea, would like logically numbered rooms for easy reference. Names could be creative as Carireen and others suggested. Also, I like the idea of North wing for the new areas, lol. I think labelling by color is short sighted, once you’ve found your area a strong colored room can be oppressive, though coloring the room label, and coloring the area on the map might work, and icons are nice if there is interest in doing that.

2 Likes

Make it an annual thing.

Shameless fundraising.

Makes sense. Something like:
Room 102-01
The Walter Anderson Memorial Electronics Lab

3 Likes