Possible Pinball Project

From the Wall Street Jrnl 12/27/16. Interesting statement at end of article. I’m not familiar with the series mentioned here. Maybe one of our pinball wizards is?

1 Like

I’m just a pinball fan, not a wizard, but Black Mirror is an online TV series I’d describe as psychological techno-drama. Each episode is standalone, with different actors, writers, etc., like the Twilight Zone. The show recently started its third season. The premise is a play on the “black mirror” – the reflective surface of our electronic devices, that is always with us and that always reflects ourselves and our society. The show looks at the way we behave in relation to technology, sometimes in funny, unexpected, or horrifying ways.

If you’ve never seen the show, I strongly recommend you SKIP Episode 1 of Season 1. (A friend who recommended Black Mirror to me told me this too late after the fact when I’d already been traumatized. In short: extreme animal abuse. Enough said.)

Having said that, you might start with the first episode of Season 3, called “Nosedive,” which takes place in a very near future where people rate every personal interaction using a five-star system on their smartphones. People end up having a standing average rating based on all of these encounters, and that rating ends up determining the privileges and accesses they have in life. It’s brilliant, and creepy, and funny. I highly recommend it.

1 Like

Ok now that Black Mirror (a show everyone is recommending to me personally to watch) and pinball have been mentioned in the same post… I guess its time to buckle up and watch it.

What I want to know is where does everyone find the time to watch all these shows? Restoring my pinball machines takes up all available time, sans eating and sleeping it seems.

Oh, and go and watch Passengers on a big Real 3D screen before it leaves theaters. The critics are wrong… it’s quite a feast for the senses and a good cerebral sci-fi flick.

I read that Passengers is a bit creepy in the “woman is basically stalked and has her whole life controlled by a guy because he wants a Jane to his Tarzan” kind of way.

I love sci-fi, and have encyclopedic knowledge of sci-fi TV and movies. But as a woman, I have to admit that this trope has gotten old. Why watch another movie where the woman has little agency over her own life when 90% of movies of all genres have that?

Recommend me some movies with a female lead who’s neither a sidekick nor a victim nor a seductress.