Possible Cutting Board Class

I am interested as well.

Lets talk, I can let you know how we were planning on doing this kind of class.

End grain wood is stronger for a cutting surface than edge grain. I would prefer end grain. I think from the standpoint of having a good result, I would prefer for you to purchase wood for me, too. After that, I can use my own wood. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Count me in…

I just submitted the class through the calendar program. It will only be a 1 session class after discussion with many woodshop veterans. In the class we will do the initial glue up then together we will take a duplicate edge grain cutting board I make before class and turn it into an end grain board as a class. We will also finish a board made before class as a group. This will give you the skills to take the edge grain board we make in class and finish it into the final end grain board. The class will be $30 through Eventbrite to cover the wood which I will provide. I will joint and plane it before class so that we can accomplish all the steps together in 3 hours.
The class is scheduled for Sunday, July 8th at 2 pm and should be live on the calendar in 72 hours.

5 Likes

I tried signing up for your class but it says I have not taken woodshop basics which I have.
I paid for the class via eventbrite to get in, but I’m not signed up on teh DMS calendar yet. Hoping we can get my AD updated soon!

I took this class: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/3382

@Team_Woodshop ? @StanSimmons

1 Like

FWIW…I just registered successfully on both DMS and Eventbrite.

1 Like

I’ve received the three sign ups/payments through Eventbrite, just seeing if we can get @Webdevel set up to finish registration.

@Webdevel, it looks like the teacher didn’t click on the AD boxes for the people in his class.

I’ve added everyone that attended that class to the AD group. You should be able to signup for the class now.

4 Likes

Thank you sir. I appreciate the hell out of you.

Edit: I’m fully registered now thank you.

1 Like

One spot left. 20202

Class is full. I will teach this session, learn how to improve it, then put up another session for August.

9 Likes

@indytruks138 stupid question, are we leaving our glue-ups there to set, or are we taking them with after class? I was planning on riding out that day, but may have to alter plans.

My thoughts are to leave them out on one table and I’ll come back Monday and unclamp them all and put them in my storage so you can pick up at anytime and cut and glue up your end grain.

3 Likes

Thanks! Riding it is.

1 Like

I was one of the fortunate ones who attended @indytruks138 Ryan’s class yesterday. Both the class and the project were well thought out and well presented. It’s clear that a crazy amount of prep went into this. I highly recommend this class and I would gladly take any of his classes in the future.

Ryan had planed/jointed all the wood in advance to save that extra couple hours in the class. Since the board design requires two glue-ups, he brought in-process cutting boards at different steps of the process. We were individually able to complete the first cut/glue step on our personal cutting boards. Then as a group we completed the second cut/glue step using one of his in-process boards. Finally, he demonstrated the final sanding and routing using another of his in-process boards.

Maybe someone who took pictures wants to post them …

6 Likes

I would love to take the class I hope another is posted after July 21st.

Thanks Chris! I appreciate you noticing the prep-time and I appreciate the kind words. I was very happy to have you in my first class as I knew you would keep me honest on fine details with your ability to create such fine detail at a very small scale! I look forward to seeing your finished cutting board!

@meanbaby I will be posting a class for August once I get my schedule figured out. I have to make sure I have time to buy, joint, and plane the wood and make another in-process board for the class.

5 Likes

Here are some pictures from our class. Ditto to what Chris said. We did get to do each part, but on a shared piece, then get our own boards glued up. I really enjoyed this class.

6 Likes

Thank you for the pictures Jorge! Are you ok if I share these on my FB or IG?

1 Like