Poor pecan produces plethora of pens

I think I will have some extra green pecan soon…

I’ll happily help take some of that off your hands.

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking: you’re gonna kill it with fire aren’t you

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: DIY Wood Drying (including microwave)

Yeah it’s work to deal with green wood but I’d rather people that want to, get a chance at it before landfill. Also can make homemade charcoal or smoking chips I believe

I would actually make a couple of pens out of some of it. But yes it would
be sacrificed to the barbecue gods to some degree.

1 Like

John, Pecan is a renowned bbq wood, particularly in Texas. Less strong than Oak or Hickory, yet more assertive than fruitwoods like Apple, Cherry or Peach. Perfect as a ‘supporting player’ for either Oak or Hickory when cooking.

2 Likes

So it’s hot outside. End result

3 Likes

Can you use the non pictured smaller limbs that have leaves on them for the BBQ purpose? I dont mind giving you the log stuff either way just curious about what all works. I was going to try and make the “paint can” charcoal out of some of the small limbs myself

1 Like

So y’all come pick this stuff up lol how should I cut these pieces up? I know to cut non bowl stuff in half to help decrease the Heartwood(?)

Hi Nate,

Yes, the smaller twigs work well, but are best for smaller cuts of meat (like chicken breasts). Larger cuts of meat benefit from wood chunks or 3-4" diameter logs/branches.

For pen making, it really just needs to be 3/4" x 3/4" and about 8" long.

I’m flexible and can come pick up anything you might not mind parting with.

Scott

When and where?! :slight_smile:

That’s exactly what I do. For every 2 sticks of hickory I will use one pecan, in smoking.

2 Likes

Sorry just had my first “that’s too much blood to rub dirt in” accident lol I’m taking all the leafy stuff to the curb it’ll get pick up on Friday, I assume you’re doing stuff for the 4th but I’ll be working on this for the next couple hours if you want to come grab some now, other than that I can probably store it the next couple days. I’m 3 mins from DMS I can pm you the address if you want to come today or just meet you at the space in the next few days if I’m actually able to function

You OK?

@Scott_Blevins I am well aware. But it’s so pretty…

1 Like

Yeah, using one of those mini chainsaws with the extendable pole, had it extended about four feet, angled it up to cut and the locking mechanism failed and the entire bottom pad of my index finger got pinched when the pole slammed back into the handle

Off tropic somewhat but still about pecan

Some years ago I had build a small clamp kiln in my backyard to
do some wood firing of clay work, I discovered that I needed soft wood like pine to get the heat up but harder
woods for maintaining it I was at an SCA event in San Angelo and the summer before a tornado ahd torn
thru town and took out a lot of pecan trees, Every grill in the park had huge stacks of pecka logs

Yep I stuffed as many of them in my car as I could fit! Still not the oddest thing I ever brought home
that goes to the huskly that adopted me near Vidor TX

1 Like

Woah, Id like to see your freakishly huge pen sir. wait, that didn’t come out right…

@Nate I am glad you weren’t seriously injured! I will be out and about Friday if that works for you. I can swing by and pick up some or all of the wood and move it to the space.

Better to be hit by the handle than the blade!

1 Like