Polymer clay journal covers?

Does anyone have experience making polymer clay journal covers? I am inspired by some amazing ones by Latvian artist Aniko Kolesnikova.

3 Likes

Her artistry is amazing. If I were making them, I’d probably glue down the first sheet of polymer clay, and then use regular techniques to attach the detail work. You can see where she’s smooshed the edges down very regularly on the bottom sheet. Not sure if “glue” is the right word. Although, one might create the piece separately, “fire” it, and then attach it to the journal. My first thought was that she created the piece on the journal and then fired it. I think fimo fires low enough not to give the journal problems??

1 Like

As I recall, FIMO fires at 230 / 265F (depending on whether it’s FIMO classic or FIMO soft).

Firing it on the journal is a good idea. When you fire a large sheet of FIMO it tends to buckle/curl, and I wondered how to deal with that.

Yeah – I was thinking she had fired it on the journal when I saw those little divots all around the edge. You wouldn’t do that unless you were attaching it before firing.

1 Like

These are stunning!
Now I want to pull out the polymer clay

1 Like

I think ya’ll should use the skin :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like