[Poll] What day is preferrable for a monthly Quilting social event?

We had our first Quilting Work day and social event this past Saturday (10/13) and based on the amount of work I got done I’d say it was pretty successful. I had a ton of fun working alongside @sinless and @classielassie!

I’d like to make this a monthly event. If you’re interested in this event please fill out the poll below.

I’m going to go ahead and let you know right now that Tuesday and Thursday nights are off the table. Tuesdays because I don’t want to interfere with the Fiberfrolic and Thursdays because I have a standing engagement and since I’m hosting I get to be a little picky! :laughing:

Pick your top TWO choices below.

• Monday night (7pm-10pm)
  • Wednesday night (7pm-10pm)
  • Friday night (7pm-10pm)
  • Saturday morning (9am-noon)
  • Saturday afternoon (2pm-5pm)
  • Saturday night (6pm-9pm)
  • Sunday morning (9am-noon)
  • Sunday afternoon (2pm-5pm)
  • Sunday night (6pm-9pm)

0 voters

3 Likes

Also, if you can think of a cute name for the event comment below! I understand that quilting work day doesn’t sound as appealing as “Fiberfrolic”, but my usual punnyness is stumped by this one.

1 Like

Quilting Circle*?
Not a cutesy, but straightforward, informative title.

*our seating was sort of circular, in a rectangular way

1 Like

Bee is traditional. Not sure it’s accurate though because I have never actually been to a quilting bee.

I always associated the term “Quilting Bee” to imply some sort of competition? But I have no idea, I’ve never been to a quilting bee.

1 Like

Stitch and itch…a meeting for allergy suffering sewing addicts

3 Likes

I looked it up and a Quilting bee is apparently not a competition, so that is an option if we want to go traditional.

Quiltpocalypse: fury darning
Quiltastic world: fallen sheets
Quilters: infinity blankets

Not gonna lie, I really want to try some wacky crazy stuff and “quilt” together my own camo - this should be fun.

1 Like

Isn’t that basically what a ghillie suit is, anyway??

1 Like

Can’t Quit Quilters

1 Like

Yeah, but DMC hardly seems “traditional.”
I’m kind of liking @matthshooter’s suggestion of “Quiltpocalypse,” although it doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue easily.

Stitchity Doo-Dah
Rippity-Doo-Dahs
Rippity-Stitchety
Quilt.Makerspace
Sewing to Pieces
Quilt:Creativity

The art quilt group I’m in is named “Twisted Stitchers” in case that sparks some punny ideas. Likewise, the theme for the Dallas Quilt Show this year is Animals, so I came up with our tagline of “Ewe Otter Bee Quilting!”

The more I think about it the more I like Quiltpocalypse. I’ll use it for the next event title and see how it goes.

1 Like

All, I’ve created next month’s event for Sunday, November 11th from 2pm-5pm. I wanted to go ahead and get it on the books so we could get a classroom instead of the general CA area (since last time it was so busy in there). We can continue this discussion and make future events for another day if the vote swings that way.

The link is here, but it won’t open up for 72 hours from now. I encourage people to sign up ahead of time so I have an idea of how many we’ll have. I’m also going to post this on the DMS Meetups page to attract local area quilters to the event.

Edit: I had to resubmit the event because I made a mistake. The link above has been updated. Should show up in 48 hours.

2 Likes

So happy this is happening!!

1 Like

The Quilter’s Guild of Dallas will be meeting on Thursday, Nov. 1 at 7:15 pm. Do you want me to make an announcement about this?

FYI, if anybody is interested, this particular meeting will be primarily a Covers for Kids work night. We make quilts for three local charities, Dallas Children’s Advocacy Center, Ronald McDonald House, and the Vogel Alcove, that they give away to their young clients. We have fairly regular Saturday sew-days when we work on quilt tops, but occasionally host a work-night in lieu of our usual guest speaker-focused meetings. CFK committee members will be teaching some simple block designs, and teams will be putting together tops as blocks get sewn.

We’ll be meeting at the Best Little Retreat Center in Texas, located at the northwest corner of Coit and Beltline in Dallas underneath the clock tower. Bring a sewing machine if you want to stitch, favorite cutting ruler(s) and rotary cutter if you prefer to cut fabric and trim blocks or just yourself if pressing is your preference. Cutting mats and ironing stations will be provided by the retreat center.

1 Like

That would be fantastic! The event is open to non-members, so we’d love for any of them to come!

Awww… I didn’t get to suggest Quiltapalooza. Unfortunately Tuesday and Wednesday are the only nights I’m more consistently available. Next year I plan on teaching some art quilt classes. Maybe we can change up the day occasionally. Have fun!

1 Like

PS… The Quilter’s Guild is a great organization. I joined for a bit when I first was forced to move back to Dallas. Really nice group.

1 Like

Quiltapalooza is a lot easier to say than Quiltpocalypse.

I suspect @BarkingChicken will keep the name a work in progress until she finds a name that sticks.

Rats. I won’t be able to make the next event.

I’d like to gently suggest that the first 10 minutes of the event be spent cleaning the tables in the classroom before any fabric is brought out. Not everyone who uses tables leaves them in suitable condition for fabric.

1 Like