POLL: Potential ways to deal with no shows for classes

I was worried you were going to say “booger!”

“Boooooooger!”

Taking emotion out of it is there a way to set up a class so that a member can register for free but if they don’t show the teacher can elect to charge them a predetermined fee? Or trigger a refund when they are marked present? These would be options for teachers same as free or paid. It seems like that would keep it from being mean or expensive per objections to policy change.

Do we have any data on the problem so we can identify any pattern?

1 Like

And now Les Nessman with the news…

2 Likes

If we go from nothing, whatever system has to be fair and easy to administer. Having a new bright shiny system that does not work without 80 hours a week of intensive labor is the same thing as something not working.

2 Likes

That said, my choice was not in the poll: return to the classic “The class is full when the room is full.”

The instructor gets to decide when the room is full.

If I do not show up for your class, nobody is affected but me; nobody else is even aware I was even interested in the class.

The winning system is a hybrid: No free registrations - first come, first served until the room is full, then sorry Charlie. You missed out.

If you want a guaranteed seat, you pay a fee for the privilege, but if you do not show or are late, no refunds.

“As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly”

3 Likes

This is the link to the WKRP Turkey Drop. Classic humor.

1 Like

That person no-showed my class today. Does he ever attend classes or does he only register for them?

Edit: I recall he did attend one of yours, but he was grossly late.

1 Like

Most of my classes make, some don t, and folks I am ok with that
I cancelled a class recently that only had one person sigh up, I asked
that it was a class that required quite a bit of set up and bringing bottles of
liquid from home,

Now most of my classes to not fill up so they are not denying someone a place

I like the idea of an instructor having the right to blocks a repeat no show from a
class with a size limit, I would also like for the person to be notifying as to why their
registration was not approved, They need to KNOW that not showing and not cancelling is the issue
not that the instructor doesn t like them

1 Like

The airlines are not run by volunteers.

3 Likes

I think that there should be a set standard. It should have a little leeway. Say, two no call/no shows within 90 days nets a 30 day suspension from booking classes. 30 day probation, another no call/no show nets a 90 day suspension. Tardiness over 5 min to a required for use class will not qualify for credit. Any instructor may refuse entry to class after 5 min grace. This leaves no room for confusion, but is still fairly forgiving. If anyone is unhappy, point them to the policy and move on.

Edited to say: Maybe 10 min is more fair? Stuff happens beyond our control, but at a certain point, you’ve just failed to plan for traffic, etc.

Wasn’t my comparison… I was responding to someone else who made that comparison. Reading is Fundamental. (I remember those PSAs back when I was a kid…)