POLL: Potential ways to deal with no shows for classes

Which way would be your preference for dealing with people who fail to show up for classes they have registered for?

• Current system, the teacher has the option of preventing anyone from registering for their class, but must do all the work themselves
  • Create a rating system for people based upon the number of classes they fail to show for (or are late to)
  • Create an incremental block from registering for classes (eg, first miss warning, second miss one month block, etc…)
  • Give say three freebies, then block for a month for each offense after that.
  • Do nothing, people have a right to be rude and inconsiderate.

0 voters

1 Like

@Team_Moderators

Could you do your voodoo for this poll so that it stays sticky for a while (say two weeks) so that we can get a good feel for what members want

Also to everyone else, if you have another option you would like to show, please let me know, and I will edit poll to include it. Well apparently the system will not allow edits to polls after the first five minutes…

1 Like

I’m going out on a limb here, but the poll question seems to … be biased, leading. Whatever, I happen to agree with sentiment.:+1:

9 Likes

If a class is scheduled to start before 7PM on a weekday then the instructors put themselves at risk for late students and the student shouldn’t be penalized.

If we start doing this then we’ll see an uptick in last minute cancellations.

2 Likes

The instructors have done nothing of the kind. If the student doesn’t believe they can guarantee they can make the class by the start time, the solution is don’t register for it. The instructor has no obligation to accomodate anyone’s schedule. And lets remember the real problem is that by registering you are potentially preventing someone else from taking the class who can show on time.

In the other post I already pointed out the problem with cancelations and late registrations. But other then that software/rule issue how is a late cancellation (which the teach can control by setting the cancellation deadline) worse then simply not showing up or showing up late (and potentially causing problem with stand bys)?

3 Likes

This is so off-base and misguided I am going to assume you have mistaken the the date for April 1st.

5 Likes

I am going to say that people have a right to be inconsiderate - however, that doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be consequences. If it is a paid class and they didn’t cancel in the appropriate time frame and they show up at a later class they should not be allowed to take it then (for free). Sorry, that ticket is no longer valid. sign up again and pay again. This differs from a refresher where they have paid before and just need to relearn certain portions.

3 Likes

That’s a silly comparison… but yet strangely the same except that they’ll rebook if needed and the airline will let the rebook using the money up to 1 year later - and they won’t care or throw fits on a forum.

I’ve missed a flight due to traffic when FM2499 was flooded. I left the house 2 1/2 hours before my flight and what is normally a 20 minute drive was 2 hours and I still didn’t make it from Highland Village to the airport. I did the customer meeting via WebEx and we still closed the deal. I reused the money for that ticket for another flight and it worked out fine. American Airlines didn’t blackball me, penalize me, complain at me or about me, nothing.

1 Like

Not sure how long ago that was, but it seems that many airlines are now charging substantial fees to customers who miss their flights–probably because it costs them money to loose a but in the seat.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/extras/same-day-travel.jsp

1 Like

I have frequent flier status on American and we use a large corporate travel company to book all our travel. I haven’t had a change fee to pay in over 5 years, even if I missed a flight.

Also, confirming a seat is different than standby if you miss a flight. If you have FF status, you can standby for free on American while if you don’t have that status you can’t standby and must pay change fees. The rules are different on different airlines and YMMV. I fly mostly American since that’s the predominant carrier at DFW.

Frequent flier, particularly when associated with a large corporate account like Cisco means that they are willing to loose money on individual flights because you bring enough profit otherwise. Please read AA policy for the general public that I posted above. They charge a significant fee. Much like I am suggesting a penalty for those who are inconsiderate enough to register for a class, thereby blocking someone else from registering, and then either fail to show up at all, or show up late…

I think it’s too heavy handed and doesn’t take any traffic issues into consideration.

1 Like

How is it all the poor dears you are representing manage to get to work on time each morning, considering all the “traffic issues” that they presumably also encounter during a.m. rush hour?

2 Likes

I guess I look at it is who is responsible for when I commit myself to be?

Do I take responsibility for making it on-time, knowing if everything doesn’y work out perfectly with known problems that occur (getting off late from work, no traffic hitches even though they occur frequently)?
or
Does volunteer instructor take responsibility to make it so I have no responsibility in my planning?

Over optimism can cause someone to not be able to take the class. Is that selfish to not consider that? The decision impacts others.

3 Likes

At most - I’d say forfeit any supply fee paid for the class. Sunk costs must be covered.

But life is messy and we are somewhat of an informal teaching organization. SH*T happens, not to mention family, friends, traffic and so on… Life is not perfect.

So to the A**HATS who routinely don’t make their commitments, yeah, you’re always going to have some of those, but I’m not going to penalize everyone else because of them.

I personally choose to be different in that I’m going to keep my dates and commitments. But I have found it to be fruitless and counterproductive to expect the same from the rest of humanity.

2 Likes

Teacher should have the option to block a repeating no show from registering for a class that has limited size.
Option: put repeating no show on stand by list.
Teachers/committees miss out on honorariums because of this.
Yes, “life happens”.
Still your responsibility.

3 Likes

I disagree strongly with this. We keep shifting more and more of the burden of class management to the teachers. Forcing the teachers to be the one to decide if a chronic no show, means that said no show will likely confront the teacher about it. I know that I canceled a members registration to two of my classes, in part because they failed to show to two prior classes, and showed late to a third. This person became angry and wanted to know why. Now obviously I have no problem with personal confrontation, but many of our members do.

3 Likes

that kind of exists now in that the class can be set up as “by approval”. however, it still puts the burden on the teacher to remember who to disallow or to be the bad guy.

3 Likes

Regardless of how the class is setup, the teacher can currently cancel anyone’s registration.

you are correct. but NOT approving someone from the start as opposed to cancelling someone after the fact is a little less confrontational. You’ll still get bitc…oops almost said it :wink:… at either way.

5 Likes