[Poll] Configuration management and Orchestration

Which Configuration management/Orchestration tool would you choice for your daily workflow?

• Chef
  • Ansible
  • Packer
  • Salt
  • Puppet
  • SCCM
  • Other (comment below)

0 voters

We have a vote for Chef, is the anything that particularly, outside of “we use it at work because boss says to” draws one, to Chef over say puppet, salt or ansible?

Poll has closed. The final result after reviewing chef is ansible is easier to grasp for the whitebeards and PFY of DMS. (i.e. anyone can use it and extend it without needing to learn new skills).

So we’ll be using ansible.

Thanks for everyone that participated in the poll.

I guess I’m late to the party. I’ve been using Salt for several years and I’ve been very happy with it.

I’m familiar with salt. But just to get a different point of view;

How easy is it for someone to administer, learn, and adopt with little or know prior knowledge of System Administration?

Someone with no systems administration experience probably wouldn’t understand the benefit of using configuration management software in the first place. If you’re asking how easy is Salt to use, I’d say easier than anything else I’ve used. I looked at several options in 2013 and decided to go with Salt because of relative simplicity and ease of use compared to other options.