Plumbing help needed by Fired Arts

Fired Arts has a clay trap that needs to be installed under the sink in the janitor’s closet. I asked Infrastructure about sending in a plumber, and he felt that it’s simple enough that one of the members could do it.

It is pretty simple. We’ll have to buy a couple of lengths of pipe for input and output, but that’s just a matter of measuring. I’ll be glad to help out – I just don’t want to mess it up.

Thanks!
Beth

Let me know when you want to meet up so that I can look at it and figure out what else is needed.

Also, do you want to delay installing it until we figure out the future of the janitor’s closet, particularly since a new sink is part of that plan?

3 Likes

I’ll be around Thursday and Friday afternoon and evening.

Last I remember reading, there’s not enough room in there for the sink they wanted. I think replaced the hot water heater was a no-go.

I’ll be around most of Thursday PM hours. I’ll be there in the afternoon working on a project, and then I’ll be back for the Lemons car. I’ve got some plomeria skills, and we can take a look. Obviously if @bknapp wants to do it, I don’t have a problem riding in the middle of the truck.

1 Like

I try to be back in Fired Arts about 6-ish on Thursday nights. Come on by!

A bigger sink would be great, esp for silk screening and ease of use.

What’s the debate on the hot water heater? It barely works. A small on demand heater would be an interesting alt.

To get an on-demand water heater, we would need to do an electrical change… bump it from 120 to 208v and possibly higher amperage. Brooks has the details on that.

1 Like

It works much better now that it has been turned up from the lowest setting. Perhaps too well in fact: I’ve nearly burned myself with the hot water.

2 Likes

Beth, it’s not looking like I’m going to make it out of the office at anything approaching a reasonable time tonight, so if @jottwell can get it done, more power to him!

Otherwise, I’ll be able to look at it tomorrow afternoon.

Understood. We’ll see what happens.

I will be back to the space at 6p. I’ll be in a gray t-shirt, baseball cap, and blue jeans.

1 Like

Jason came by. We looked at the clay trap, and discovered that it had a parts list. He’s going to get the stuff – shouldn’t be much, and put it in.

2 Likes

I got the parts today, and will be at the space on Sunday before the autocad class. I’ll take a stab at getting it installed when I get there, however I didn’t take a picture of the sink while we looked at it. I may have to go get some parts if I don’t have the correct parts to connect to the wall.

3 Likes

The clay trap has been installed.

There wasn’t enough room to simply come straight from the drain down to the clay trap, so I was forced to 90 out, then 90 down to the trap. That required the outlet to be routed over to the p-trap. I kept the p-trap in place so that if the clay trap is ever removed, it should be pretty easy to hook the sink back up with a piece of tail stock. I used schedule 40 1-1/2 PVC pipe due to the weight of the clay trap putting strain on the fixtures. I also put a small piece of pipe underneath the clay trap to give it some support. The support will need to be removed prior to dumping the trap and returned. The trap uses plastic bags, and I put them in the bottom of the trap underneath the bag that is in use. This reduces the chances of the bags being lost.

If the trap or plumbing for the trap ever needs to be removed, disconnect the p-trap and the 90 from the wall. This will allow the outlet to be removed, then the inlet can be disconnected from the sink by rotating the clay trap. You can also just cut things up and go wild, whatever your fancy.

Here is the before:

Here is the completed setup:

2 Likes