Plumbing advice and tool availability

I’ve spent the day attempting to fix my drain between my bathroom sinks. I have two of them connected with a T pipe. They are plumbed correctly with traps and connected to the T inside the wall. I’ve got access to the T through the wall. (Paneling removed to access them, I didn’t do this the builder did years ago) If I pour water into one sink it will fill the drain line in both sinks and rise into the bowl of the lower sink (in height).

I’ve cleaned out all pipes from the sink to the main drain with an auger and by actually removing it and brushing it clean inside. There is NO obstruction before the T.

I’ve tried Drano Max Gel. No effect. I’ve tried vacuuming the drains. No effect. I’ve tried high pressure air. No effect. I’ve tried to auger the T but I believe that the auger just goes across the T to the next bathroom and not DOWN through the main drain pipe. This is where I believe the clog is. All other drains are clear. Bath tub, shower, two toilets etc. I’ve previously augered the drain through the access point outside of the home and I know that it is draining properly.

So here’s what I think I need – something called a drop head auger. This device attaches to the auger cable and has a pivot joint between the cable and the auger head. When it encounters a T joint gravity causes the head to follow the lowest path, which is down the drain I need to have unclogged. There are drop head augers to be had from Amazon for about $15, but I don’t own a RIdgid auger they will attach to.

My options are: 1) Buy an auger and the drop head – About $370 for a Ridgid setup.
2) Rent an auger about $150 a week or $30 an hour. 3) hire a plumber – about $350.
4) ask here if anyone has an auger with a drop head auger attachment to lend or rent for less than that above.

Lastly, if anyone has any other ideas to unclog the drain I’m all ears. One other suggestions is to climb onto the roof and send the auger down the vent to the drain. This is over 45 feet since I live in a two story home with high ceilings. (My current hand held auger is only 25 ft long)

Thanks in advance for any advice. I’m always amazed at the depth of knowledge this group possesses.

That’s essentially what they did at my house except rather than get on the roof, they cut the vent pipe in the attic and sent the auger down from that point. If you know where the venting pipe is, you can do the same. Of course this will most assuredly involve drywall patch work afterwards (which is currently not in your job description) and splicing the venting pipe back together.

1 Like

Darren, as it turned out this is what I did yesterday to resolve the problem. The builder had actually cut a drywall hole in the wall under my sink to so another fix. I had my wife tap on it while I felt the pipes upstairs.
After we determined the right pipe, I cut a small segment from the pipe and replaced it with a Wye joint. I then glued a tap and cap fixture to the “Y” pipe.

After several hours of auguring it I finally got it to break through the sludge and clear the blockage. My sinks are back in working order as of late last night.

Thank you very much for your suggestion and help!

4 Likes