Plugging up a hole to create a urn

Got this message from a friend of mine, and I wanted to put it through here to see if anyone had ideas / feedback on how to do this the best way.

Hello! So I have a question/ favor to ask of you. My boyfriends dad passed recently and they had him cremated. His dad was obsessed with Marvin the Martian and while cleaning out his fathers apartment we found a sculpture that is hollow. (His father was a major hoarder) It’s got a hole on the bottom so we can get the ashes in that way… we just aren’t sure exactly how we to properly seal it up. At first I thought it was bronze but after research I found out otherwise and it’s actually made of ceramic/ porcelain. Would you or anyone you know be able to help me seal it up once we get the ashes in it.

full item for reference:
http://rarewarnerbros.com/2019/04/17/rare-looney-tunes-marvin-the-martian-austin-sculpture-statue-1998-ltd-ed/

I’m thinking a shaped cork to plug it and then maybe heat molded plastic base using silicone putty like in a kitchen / bathroom style? That way it would be removable later but permanent enough for the purpose.

PS I know it might sound weird to some to use a marvin the martian memorial urn but, you know people are gonna people!

How about just a 2 part epoxy resin? I’ve sealed the bottom of some cracked pottery before that way and it worked like a charm. It helps that this already has a cover on the bottom.

2 Likes

well, like the hole is the only way to get ashes in. So would a barrier be good? And then mix the epoxy with, like some stone filler to make it seamless in appearance

Would it be cast like, right side up so the base forms correctly?

ahh, I didn’t realize that was the only way to get the ashes in. Then yeah after the ashes are in, you’d need to plug the hole relatively carefully if you wanted to do a layer of resin on top. you basically dont want the resin mixing with the ashes and it pours like syrup.

1 Like

Maybe create a silicone base plug. Mold it to it, before putting the ashes in. Then place the ashes in after the plug is made.

3 Likes

You could also use silicone sealer around a fitted plug, which doesn’t run as much. Line the sides of the plug and the inside of the hole with thin layer and then put it in. Wipe away the excess and add a little extra if you see any gaps. The result should be watertight.

1 Like

Not related specifically to plugging the hole, but they might want to make sure the item is marked (even if just the bottom) as containing human ashes. That would be QUITE the surprise if someone acquired it without knowing. :grimacing: You don’t expect Marvin the Martian to contain ashes. I think it’s an awesome idea though and very fitting. :+1:

1 Like