Please put a welding class on the weekday schedule

Can someone please put a welding basics class on the schedule? I haven’t seen one in a while. Also, what class do we need to take to learn how to use the breaks and benders in the metal shop?
@Team_Metal_Shop

6 Likes

I think that the basic metal shop class will cover that. mine was and add-on "does anyone wanna learn it’

since when is there a basic metal shop class? There’s usually a class just for getting trained / signed off on the MIG or TIG etc…

I’ve also been waiting for a welding class for quite some time; there were a couple back when I first joined, but they filled up fast and have not been offered recently.

Regards,
-Jim

1 Like

Always has been a metal shop class. It has been a Preq for the welding classes until @malcolmputer started to integrate it into his welding classes. I don’t know the plan going forward as to if this will continue into other instructors classes. But like I said when I took the basic metal shop it was included there. I’m not an instructor or on the metal shop committee so I can only speak to my experiences.
Thanks!

That’s news to me, though it’s often talked about.
Who taught it?

As I understand it, before I came along, there was a “Welding Safety” Class, which most instructors would stay after to show everyone how to use the Plasma cutter, the bend breaks, and the grinders/chop saws.

When I cover the Welding Safety portion of the “Welding Safety” class in my Welding classes, I don’t normally have time to stay and show the rest.

It’s honestly a bit like the Cold Cut saw in the machine shop where if someone who knows what they are doing shows you, then you are good to go. (Confirm this with @dallasmagna or @TBJK)

I’m thinking the Welding Safety class turns into Metal Shop Safety, and the welding courses combine the relevant welding safety class into them. I’m not convinced this class needs to be required, more of a stepping stone.

Metal Shop Safety would include:

• New media blaster
  • Brake
  • Shear
  • Grinders
  • Bandsaw
  • etc

Well, we’ve flip-flopped whether “Welding Safety” was a stand-alone pre-req for one of the process classes, or taught in conjunction with the process classes several times over the years, each way having its own merit and drawbacks.
I was not aware that anyone was “throwing in” sheet metal tools and handheld plasma, too. That’s a great idea!
Now, I’m still wondering who was doing this, because I’ve totally missed that it ever happened; other than Lee Jones’ Welding Safety course, where he might have done this without my knowing about it (apparently he doesn’t feel the need to run things past ME first! Can you imagine?!?), I wasn’t aware of any “Metal Shop Class” which teaches (relatively) generic metal shop use.

My Welding Safety class includes all processes needed for welding, including grinding and cutting. I throw in sheet metal tools after the class. Lee generally just asks if anyone has any questions, and generally someone asks “how do I use a hand held plasma cutter?”

1 Like

You need better press. I had no idea you were doing all that. :+1:

1 Like

I’ve taken the TIG welding class, plasmacam, and the induction forge/KMG grinder class but I still don’t know my way around metal shop really.

If a metal shop basics class were taught I would attend. I think this might help to avoid stuff like people grinding soft metals. (something I wasn’t even aware was a no-no until I read it here on talk)

5 Likes

Yes, Sorry “Welding Safety” Class.

I’ve taught a Brake, Roller, and Shear as a class.in the past.

I joined a couple of months ago and have been waiting for a class to allow me to use the welders and other metal shop items (if they need training to use). I keep coming back to the schedule and there is nothing. It would be nice to see something soon. I have gas and stick welding experience, but would like to know more about using the MIG/TIG etc. Thanks.

2 Likes

We currently have three members who teach welding at the space.

I can’t speak for the others, but I’m pretty much booked until mid/late June. I’ve been spending all of my makerspace time lately on getting certified to use the Metal Shop tools.

Lee is a very busy man, and contributes when he can, and I’m assuming Luke is spending time getting into the board member role.

We do have one or two who have offered to help teach, but the issue is, they need to take a class first to see how we do things, and the classes are only 8 people max because we only have one welding table and roughly one machine per welding process.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. I know how busy life gets. I don’t mind waiting until June, but I am sure there might be a bit of a backlog of users wanting to take the class. Is there any way to get the DMS calendar to email or text me if a specific class opens up?

Also, for my information, how does one get certified on the metal shop tools? 3rd party?

Thanks again.

Not that I know of. I typically post a Talk post about how a class will be showing up in three days and tag everyone I can remember asking for training.

I don’t know about the others, but in my case, I met and took a class with the other two instructors, and then spoke with Chuck (the Metal Shop Chair) and asked if I could teach a class. He quizzed me a bit and then OK’d me to teach.

1 Like

The Training Development SIG is looking into creating a list of classes that are in demand. Which would allow teachers to gauge demand. In this case though, it’s not like everyone doesn’t know.

We will probably need help from the Software Dev guys to create a system that actually notifies you though.

1 Like

Doesn’t seem worth the effort to me. These classes obviously don’t have a problem filling up - is it really more “fair” that the spaces go to people who sign up to be notified and happen to be near a computer, versus those who happened to be first to check the calendar?

Does anyone know when the next metal shop meeting is?