Plastics Committee Tools

Yes I had posted on another thread but plastic welders are interesting

Do we currently have any tools that I could use to bevel a piece of 3mm acrylic?

1 Like

Is there a bandsaw available for cutting plastics?

the bandsaw in the machine shop can be used but there are some things you need to know and do.

1. Plastics need around 4000 SFM to cut. Ours is a variable speed bandsaw. If you donā€™t know how to set it, do NOT use it without the aid of someone who does.
  2. clean up must be EMACULATE. leave a mess, you wonā€™t get a 2nd chance since we plan to go to RFID on the bandsaw soon.
1 Like

Not specifically and not yet. You can get creative with a plane. you just need a jig to hold it at the right angle.

Thanks. Iā€™ll get some instruction from someone before using it for the first time.

I have a pannini press Iā€™ll probably just donate. Picked it up from Goodwill a bit ago for 5 bucks. I did a test run of type 5 plastic (not the right kind of plastic for most crafts) and got terrible results but type 2 and 4 plastics do great according to Youtube. Itā€™s optimal for smaller crafts to make a sheet or block.

I assume a plastic shredder device is already in the works?

It would be cool if we could get a heat extruder. Not something that could be bought, much more of a work in the welding shop and somehow make one of those spiral rotating bits.

1 Like

The other week I did a couple plastic projects on the bandsaw. Not sure if I might have inadvertently caused issues later on.
I tried my diligence to clear it with people around me and vacuumed afterwards.

Plastics are permitted on the Machine Shop Band Saw. If, after use, you cleaned it and the area around it, you should be good. This applies to using any tool.

Thanks for asking!

Iā€™m more specifically referring to the ā€œvariable speedā€ that @nicksilva is referring to. Perhaps if plastics pick up some signage would be useful on that particular process.

Wait, is the machine shop different from the wood shop?

Speed for various materials are posted on the side of the machine is several places.

1 Like

Is everyone familiar with the Precious Plastic Machines? They have plans for a shredder, extruder, injector, and compression machine. Machine shop has all the tooling needed to make these I believe. Having the machine shop available for people to make dies for the compressor and injector could lead to some interesting class opportunities.

1 Like

iā€™ve been wanting to extrude some rainbow plastic beams for a while the way the show on their youtube channel. iā€™d offload/ sell some outdoor picnic table to a quirky outdoor seating bar downtown~

1 Like

One of the routers in woodshop may be a possibility.
Check w/ woodshop folks first.
Training ma be required depending on which router you need to use.

1 Like

It is my understanding that powered hand tools do not require training. If you buy your own bit, they really should have no objection to you using their hand router out in the general workshop area.

1 Like

Some long while back I was looking for a way to put a rounded edge on a piece of acrylic w/ compound curves.
Quarter round pass on each side would do it. Guide plate and set up got interesting.
Think someone suggested using the Incra Router Table. (Does require training)
Didnā€™t complete the project. Looking for another way to do this.

We will have a router table for plastics when we expand

2 Likes

3mm thick acrylic? if youā€™re just looking to make it round I would just use sandpaper for that. I did that in woodshop in high school once to make an ash tray / coin tray. got nice smooth edges with a combination hand sanding and *polishing compound on a cloth wheel shoe shine style.
plus if youā€™re doing any kind of heat treatment then the plastic will settle in even further.

I had considered sanding, and thatā€™s kind of my last resort. Iā€™m concerned that if I go that route I will scrape up my piece.