Plastics Area layout and tools

Flat pcv fabrication is very useful, and not generally done at DMS. Probably because laser cutting is out! However, is is a great structural plastic that can be cut , machined, and welded. Hot air welders are reasonably inexpensive. Thought about this for some time, never did anything about it!! Not certain if the welding process for pcv generates fumes or odors. I think it can also be cut/machined on the router.

1 Like

Ya the Draco project is amazing. All the videos the Flying Cowboys put out are worth watching IMO.

1 Like

I just read acrylic bender and got way too excited!

1 Like

Is this the same as Hot Gas Welding that can be done with acrylics? I would love to have access to be able to weld acrylics, the tools are just a bit out of the hobbyist budget though.

I have formally spoken to @themitch22 about the vacuum former and he had no problem with the plastics group taking it over, especially since it means 3D doesn’t have to worry about getting air and power for it. Capt was asked for his views and he had no objection. Nothing really changes other then the location for it. We will also be sourcing the sheets for the vacuum former so they are available for purchase by members.

5 Likes

Science is talking like they’ll sponsor taking it. It’s big enough to be an infrastructure item for the whole space. I’m waiting for somebody to stand up a composites committee…

2 Likes

Machine Shop when it expands into plastics includes will include composites. @Chris_Wischkowsky is big into composites,

2 Likes