PlasmaCAM trainers wanted

@TBJK and I have been teaching two to three classes a month on the PlasmaCAM. That equates to 22 students getting checked out on the machine. At this rate, assuming no more members join DMS, we’ll have everyone checked out in 5.3 years.

See where I’m going with this?

If you took the Train the Trainers class, I strongly urge you to contact Tim or me to help you get started teaching on this tool. It is not difficult, and either one of us would gladly sit in with you during your first class to help if you get stuck.

We really need 1-2 classes a week on the PlasmaCAM. Who wants to help us be successful?

3 Likes

I’ll PM you to work out details, but I’m game.

2 Likes

I’ll help out down the road, but I’ve only cut out 2 pieces and I need to use the thing for awhile. Once I get some production fom the tool and get comfortable with it, I’ll help out.

If I can ever get into the class I’ll rank up to “trainer” pretty quickly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Based on your work with the Shapeoko, I don’t doubt it!

1 Like

I’m reviving this post, both to congratulate @Adam_Oas and @jast on joining the instructor ranks for this machine, and to ask for more volunteers to teach this class.

If you’ve taken the PlasmaCAM class and have cut a design on your own, you’re ready to teach others how to do the same. One of us will meet with you and even sit in for your first class, so don’t worry about making mistakes! None of us are experts (except, perhaps, @TBJK) at this.

Please consider becoming an instructor!

7 Likes

I can sign up as a trainer
Can even volunteer to updated the training slides - two flights to China give me lots of free time

What is stopping us from loading defaults into the PlasmaCAM software for the most common materials… aside from deciding what are the most common materials ?

1 Like

We need a script which runs during the launch of the PlasmaCAM software would would overwrite the settings file, much like what 3D fan does with the slicer program.

Sounds like you’re our volunteer, Carey :wink:

1 Like

I’d be willing to teach occasionally. Lets all be on the lookout for a larger monitor for that machine.

Great idea! I’ll look at that next time I’m on the machine. Might be as simple as an INI file.

2 Likes

21 posts were split to a new topic: New PlasmaCAM PC

I looked at it tonight and there’s a settings.cfg file in the program root directory that has a timestamp that updates every time the software launches. It’s a mix of human readable and non-readable bytes. I need an account with elevated privileges to run a test and update this but I’d bet that’s what we need to backup/restore when it comes to settings.

Since the software is a bit on the buggy side and old what about this: we have a batch file on the desktop that will restore config from whatever we determine is baseline. That way if you have made some adjustments for whatever it is you’re working on and the program crashes or you exit for some reason your custom settings are still there. We could also add a startup item so whenever the machine boots up it reverts to baseline.

1 Like

Bump: would be willing to work on this some evening this week but need credentials to do this work.[quote=“jphelps, post:16, topic:15176”]
an account with elevated privileges to run a test and update this but I’d bet that’s what we need to backup/restore when it comes to settings.
[/quote]

On a side note I feel pretty confident with the machine and would like to become an instructor. What do I need to do to become a trainer?

5 Likes

Come sit in another class with one of us to get a better feeling on how we teach.

2 Likes

I have a class Sunday morning if you want to sit in.

2 Likes

I’ll also suggest it was quite handy to have Zach in my first run through to help confirm I didn’t lapse and was not “lying” to anyone (unintentionally). So if one of the existing instructors is able to, and you’re willing, I think that is helpful.

1 Like

I will gladly sit in if nobody else can.

1 Like

I can make it to your Sunday class to sit in. Thanks for the help. This is something I feel pretty confident in and my way to be able to give back to the space a little

When I went to @zmetzing class as instructor training I think the sit in on first class was started as a requirement. Made perfect sense to me!

I’d like to sync up on a cadence for classes, schedule my first, and ensure a “senior” instructor can attend.

1 Like

Are you looking for schedule “cadence” or something else?