PlasmaCAM Questions

I’m relatively new to the PlasmaCAM, have taken the class and made a few cuts on my own, but would like to do some more detailed cuts and am running into issues with the settings. The last few attempts have lead to some pretty bad warping on the 14 GA and 16 GA sheet I was working. I was using fine cut consumables, but later realized I was referencing the wrong cut charts (as I guess the ones by the machine are for the original PowerMax 1000?). That being said I ran one slower than I should have and one faster than I should have and got pretty significant warping on both. I did alternate cuts around the piece and only made a few cuts at time between rests to let the metal cool. I realize I’m working on the thinner side of material and warping happens, but after watching the cut and seeing the angle of the kerf, I’m thinking it’s a cut height issue. Which brings me to my questions:

• How does the cut height on the machine work?
  • The Wiki says the machine does have a digital height control, but it’s my understanding this isn’t functional?
  • I set the z height using the penny method, but there are a bunch of settings for height under the machine tab of the software. It seems like if I manually set the height, but then there are also settings for pierce height, cut height, z adjustments, material thickness, etc. they would just build on each other or something. I clearly just don’t understand how it all works! While I was watching it run though it did seem like the torch would raise up move, but then not lower all the way back down to where I had manually set it.

Sorry for the ramble, but any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! I’m fascinated by this machine and the possibilities for its use, just need to figure it all out!

This is all part of the class (as far as height control, what it does, how the penny method works, and how it works with the settings in the software, etc.) I can see you took the class, so for future classes to “sink in better”, I’d love to know what went wrong.
To review:
setting the height manually (penny method is what we’ve adopted) overrides the settings in the software (unless something is fiddled with to turn them back on). The reason we teach this method is that the automatic height control has yet to cooperate with anyone (generally phrased as “doesn’t work” or “doesn’t work right”).

No need to guess on the book being for the old torch: yes, yes, and YES! Please use the reference materials linked in the wiki for the most up-to-date settings. Those listed in the black book are OK for starting points, but really are just rough recommendations at this point. To be more precise “out of the gate”, use the materials referenced in the wiki.

I hope we can get it ironed for you, and anyone else who wants to use it. It IS a cool machine!

Also, just guessing, since I’m not there watching, you probably need to get closer to the work with the fine cut, lower the amperage and reduce cutting time so it doesn’t warp. But that’s strictly guessing at this point.

A reminder from the class: Since our auto Z-height control is not working, you should not attempt to cut anything thinner than 1/8" (roughly 10 GA). Thinner materials warp too much for a constant Z height to be sufficient.

If everything were working correctly, there would be a feedback voltage from the Hypertherm to the PlasmaCAM box which would indicate the distance from the nozzle to the work piece. The PlasmaCAM software would then automatically adjust the Z height to keep the proper spacing. We haven’t had success in getting this control signal to work (@TBJK can provide details) as advertised, so we have to set the Z height manually (penny method) and make sure warpage doesn’t cause nozzle/work contact.

1 Like

I have successfully cut 22 gauge steel using the fine cut media with no problems and virtually no warping, once I found the right settings.

Also, in case anyone needs it, here is the Manual for the Hypertherm Duramax Retorfit Torch for the Powermax 1000. Which to my best understanding would be the best cut charts to use (please please let me know if I’m off on this too!!)

https://www.hypertherm.com/Download?fileId=HYP112514&zip=False

Please do share.

(idiotic 20 character limit which someone should change)

Thanks for the insight! The class was great and any misunderstandings are coming from my side. After I ran into all the warping I started looking at the settings a little closer (trying to come up with anything) and didn’t know much about the height settings tab, which makes perfect sense as we learned the penny method which overrides all of that anyways.

1 Like

I used the settings from @TBJK pdf for the fine nozzle. The settings I used from the book by the plasma cam warped the first piece like origami.

1 Like

The height controls is still not 100%. @Chris_Wischkowsky & myself think we have it dialed pretty close. Beforehand when I zeroed then rechecked it we would lose about .125". We seemed to get close with it the last time we tried it. We cut his car seat material using the height controls.

To do it manually, it has to be watched like a hawk at anytime hitting the stop/pause button. The height can be adjusted when paused but only course manual height. If the fine cut consumables hit the steel or ground to the steel while running, it will likely consume those said consumables. This is also in addition to the mis-alignment of the work. The electrode & nozzle will get carbon build up on them.

1 Like

Additionally the settings need to be made to where they are set to defaults. The height control is very very sensitive to any adjustments to them.

1 Like

The wiki seemed confusing, esp. regarding the updated torch. I’ve updated the page to be what I think is clearer, including the manual you provided, Kyle (@kriggins) for the retrofit torch. Thank you!
As always, if I’ve botched something, feel free to revert, but I think this is going to be clearer moving forward. Will update the slides when I have time (if needed, which I will also check in future)

Does anyone happen to have some screen shots of the default height settings or know them off hand by any chance?

I’ll print the cut charts from what I’ve found and leave them by the machine next time I’m there, probably tomorrow night or Thursday.

I’m hesitant to call it “default”, but you can use the ones that were in there when the training slides were made…

p 52

I’d put them in the book, clearly marked for what they are, or they’ll get lost/tossed…

I did take pictures. The last time @Chris_Wischkowsky took pictures.

1 Like

Pictures would be great if you’ve got them! I’ll put them in the book as well.

It seemed weird that after I ran a test cut without the torch on, the height was completely different than what I had originally set. Maybe the settings were changed, or something else (can’t say I know enough to speculate on any of this). I do greatly appreciate all the comments here though!!

As an update I left the cut charts in the binder next to the machine. I also saw that the settings for the PlasmaCAM appeared to be updated back to defaults, lots of height control boxes unchecked that had previously been checked, and it ran like a charm!! Got some awesome cuts out of some stainless steel. Thanks so much to whoever put the settings back to default!

Now I know to double check those when I start up the machine.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

One important setting needs to be checked:

[ X ] Wait for cutting signal before moving

Otherwise, the X/Y motion will start before the torch even lights, leading to missing bits of cut at the start of each cut path.

2 Likes

Yea when I used it the other day the raise & lower between cuts was enabled.